Willimantic, Connecticut
1486 West Main Street
Willimantic, CT 06226

What You Need to Know About RV Insurance in Connecticut April 4, 2019

Willimantic, Windham
What You Need to Know About RV Insurance in Connecticut, Willimantic, Connecticut

Owning a recreational vehicle (RV) provides the ultimate level of freedom to travel in both comfort and style. But, before you hit the road in your new transportable home, it's vital to make sure it's properly insured. Protect your property—and your finances—by learning more about the ins and outs of RV insurance.

A Brief Guide to RV Insurance

What Is It?

As the name suggests, RV insurance is designed to offer financial protections relating to unexpected events, like collisions or theft. Typically, motorhome policies are split into three main categories—Class A, Class B, and Class C. Class A is designated for large, luxury motorhomes up to 75 feet in length, while Class B is designated for camper vans and similar small, compact vehicles. Class C recreational vehicles have a mid-range length and feature living space above the cab area.  There are also travel trailers, pop-up campers and truck bed slide in campers.

What's Covered?

insuranceRV policies cover many of the same aspects as car insurance. Even the most basic plans offer liability coverage that provides financial protections for injuries and property damage caused by your vehicle. There's also collision insurance to pay for repairs for your RV caused by an at-fault accident, as well as comprehensive coverage that covers the cost of repairs for non-collision incidents, like theft. You can purchase un-insured and underinsured protection for your motorhome in the event you're hit by a driver without any or inadequate insurance.

How Much Coverage Do You Need?

Each policy's coverage amounts are determined by a combination of vehicle specifics and state requirements. Your insurance plan needs to offer enough comprehensive and collision protection to cover the value of the RV. The state of Connecticut requires minimum coverages for bodily injury liability—$25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident and $25,000 for property damage liability.

Keep yourself and your RV protected with the assistance of K.L. Smith Agency in Willimantic, CT. Since 1953, this agency has worked closely with businesses and residents across Windham County to find them dependable, affordable, and personalized insurance coverage. Learn more about the business and their recreational, auto, and homeowners insurance options online, or request a quote today at (860) 423-9294.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from K.L. Smith Agency LLC
Do You Need Boat Insurance in Connecticut?, Willimantic, Connecticut
Unlike auto coverage, boat insurance isn’t required by law in Connecticut. However, there may be other reasons why you might be required to insure your watercraft. For example, you m...read more
Why Airbnb® Hosts Should Check Their Homeowners Insurance Policy, Willimantic, Connecticut
Airbnb®, VRBO®, and other home-sharing platforms offer the potential to make money off your home while you’re out of town. These services can help you cover the bills if you’re plann...read more
Do You Need Sewer Backup Insurance? , Willimantic, Connecticut
Homeowners throughout Connecticut look forward to the spring thaw when the sun finally shines, and the snow starts to melt. However, the runoff from melting ice and snow ca...read more
What You Should Know About Insuring Your New Jewelry, Willimantic, Connecticut
Fine jewelry is always a popular gift, but they’re also especially vulnerable to fire, natural disasters, and theft. While your homeowners insurance policy will compensate you for mo...read more