It’s hard to deny your dog or cat a nibble from the table when they look so cute. However, this Thanksgiving, you must resist the begging to keep them safe. Many items common on most holiday meals pose risks to pet health. Remind your loved ones not to sneak the following items to your furry friend.
5 Thanksgiving Foods That Harm Pets
This is the showpiece of the meal and smells tempting to a pup. However, turkey bones are brittle and can damage digestive organs. They can also become lodged bones in the throat and cause vomiting and distress.
Turkey skin is also a pet health risk because nutmeg, onion and garlic powder, and other spices can be toxic to dogs.
Stuffing is loaded with ingredients that can harm animals’ internal organs. Items from the allium family in particular, such as garlic, onion, and leeks, can destroy red blood cells and lead to anemia.
The dish also contains a lot of fat and sodium, which strain the kidneys, lungs, and heart.
Uncooked dough can expand and harden in the digestive tract, causing blockages, bloating, and uncomfortable gas. Since yeast ferments over time, it can lead to alcohol poisoning as well.
Eating plain baked bread is usually safe for pets, although any sudden changes in their diet can still cause digestive discomfort.
4. Mashed Potatoes
Potatoes are safe in moderation, but mashed recipes typically contain problematic ingredients for animals. Dairy products, including sour cream and butter, are known to cause diarrhea and upset stomachs. Roasted garlic and seasoning packets could cause the problems mentioned above.
Even without these ingredients, added salt can lead to health issues. If you want to treat your pet with potatoes, set aside a portion of well-cooked, but unseasoned potato wedges.
5. Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin does bring some benefits to dogs, but roasted squash and pie are not equivalent.
Pie spices can cause high blood pressure and seizures. Canned mixes sometimes contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that causes hypoglycemia and liver failure in dogs. If the dessert contains any nut products, it could increase the risk of long-term pancreatic issues.
If you’re concerned that your pet’s eaten a forbidden item, contact Hilton Veterinary Hospital in Monroe County, NY. They’ve served the community since 1989 and have proven their dedication to pet health. Their skilled staff has a diagnostic lab and imaging tools onsite to address veterinary emergencies and prevent side effects. Call (585) 392-2937 with any concerns, or visit them online to learn more about emergency care.