The holidays are here, which means celebrations, family, friends, and holiday decorations. Winter plants are one of the most popular household decorations for this time of year and, while perfectly safe for humans, many of these festive flowers are dangerous for your pet's health. Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital wants you to be aware of the risk of these common holiday plants:
- Amaryllis: This
plant's brilliant red flowers make it an extremely popular, festive
choice, but it contains Lycorine which, if eaten, can be highly toxic to both
dogs and cats. Symptoms include vomiting, increased salivation, decreased
appetite, and tremors.
- Christmas Cactus: While the plant itself doesn't pose a toxic risk, the thick, fibrous nature of the material can irritate or damage your pet's stomach or intestines, leading to diarrhea or vomiting.
- Holly: The leaves and berries of this quintessential holiday plant are highly toxic to both dogs and cats, so keep it away from your pets. If eaten, it can cause gastrointestinal distress and lethargy.
- Mistletoe: This is a plant that you should keep hung up, far out of the reach of your pets. Mistletoe contains a variety of toxins which can cause a wide range of symptoms, from vomiting and diarrhea to low blood pressure and neurological issues.
- Poinsettia: Contrary to popular belief, Poinsettias are not especially toxic; however, they can still cause your pet discomfort if they ingest it. Poinsettias have latex-like sap that causes mouth irritation and vomiting.
The best ways to prevent plant ingestion is to block your pets’ access to the plants or keep the plants out of your house. If your pet has eaten any of your holiday plants or is showing signs of illness, contact your local veterinarian. Visit Waipahu Waikele Pet Hospital online for the best veterinarian services in town, or call (808) 671-7387 to make an appointment and get emergency help.