Throughout your home, your electrical wiring transfers power to your most essential tools and systems. Therefore, electrical fire prevention should be a top priority of all homeowners. Still, many families aren’t sure what to watch out for, and unknowingly end up increasing the risk of this emergency. If you’re hoping to steer clear of an electrical fire, take advantage of these do’s and don’ts.
Check on that burning smell.
The next time you smell something burning at home, don’t write it off as the crumbs resting at the bottom of the toaster. It could be a clear sign of a short circuit, resulting in a scorched outlet.
Or, it could point to a damaged cable underneath a rug, which has overheated and started to burn the carpet fibers. Instead of ignoring a burning smell, contact your electrician to come and inspect your home's wiring.
Update your electrical wiring.
Every few decades, the wiring in your home may have to be upgraded, or at the very least, repaired. Therefore, if you’ve just bought a historic property, or can’t remember ever investing in rewiring, it’s best to contact an electrician.
Older systems like aluminum or knob-and-tube wiring are not equipped to handle today’s gadgets and appliances, and could easily trigger an electrical fire.
Ignore the wattage on light bulbs.
The next time that lightbulb over the bathroom vanity burns out, don’t just replace it with whatever you have in the cabinet. Check to make sure that the wattage on the bulb matches that of the fixture, and if you’re not sure, ask an electrician.
The wattage rating should either be printed on the glass of the bulb or the metal collar. Mismatched wattages could lead to overheating, as well as reduce the life span of the bulb and fixture.
Depend on extension cords.
These electrical accessories are only to be used on occasion—such as when you want to set up a projector for tonight’s patio screening. However, you shouldn’t set up extension cords for continued everyday use.
If your phone charger won’t reach your bed, have your electrician install another outlet that’s closer. Routing voltage for longer distances than it’s designed to travel could strain your electrical system and increase the risk of a fire.
Whether you need a fixture repaired or a full upgrade for your electrical wiring, reach out to Steve Hester & Sons of Ward, AR. With over 72 years of combined experience, you can count on these technicians to make your home safer and more efficient. In addition to electrical work, they also tend to HVAC systems and furnaces, and they’re proud to offer 24-hour emergency services. To learn more about their skills, visit the website, or call (501) 941-5119.