As your primary means of perceiving the world, your vision is of the utmost importance. While being diligent about getting regular eye exams is ideal, there are always ways to protect your eyes on your own. While designer glasses are their top expertise, the optometrists at Cohen's Fashion Optical of Harlem have a few helpful tips, too.
Here are five optometrist tips from Harlem prescription glasses destination Cohen's on how to protect and maintain your vision:
- While it may not cross your mind, watching what you eat is a factor in your vision. Consuming food that is rich in vitamins A, C, and E can help to prevent age-related ocular degeneration. Cellular damage due to harmful UV rays can potentially be deterred by eating foods that contain beta-carotene, like carrots.
- Regular eye exams by an optometrist will ensure that you have the right prescription for a new pair of eyeglasses. While designer glasses are fashionable, you need to ensure that your glasses also have a 100% UV protection lens coating to protect from cataracts and cornea damage.
- It may not look nice, but more than that, squinting puts a major strain on your eyes. The less strain you put your eyes through during the day, the better. Working in front of a computer all day can not only damage the retina, but may cause eye fatigue and dryness. If possible, buy an anti-reflective coating for your computer screen to prevent eye strain, and make sure to take frequent breaks.
- Daily irritation and pain can be a result of foreign substances entering the eye. Before flushing out your eyes, be sure that your hands are very clean. When removing contact lenses, it is important to follow your doctor’s instructions on removing and storing your lenses.
- While you can greatly protect your vision on your own, it is still important to have regular eye exams by an optometrist at least once a year. If you are at risk for eye disease or are experiencing irritation, please consult with a doctor to ensure the right form of care.
For more tips on how to protect your vision, speak with an optometrist at Cohen’s Fashion Optical of Harlem.