Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

An Overview of Reentry, From the Immigration Attorneys at Berd & Klauss, PLLC December 3, 2015

Financial District, Manhattan
An Overview of Reentry, From the Immigration Attorneys at Berd & Klauss, PLLC, Manhattan, New York

For Permanent Residents of the U.S., traveling outside the country for extended periods of time without a valid reentry permit can have severe consequences when you return. While you do not need a passport to reenter if your trip lasts less than a year, journeys of between one and two years may require you to present a reentry permit, along with the passport from your country of origin. Berd & Klauss, PLLC, immigration attorneys in New York City, explain some of the risks of traveling without a permit.

If you leave the country for an extended period of time without applying for a reentry permit, it could be determined that you have abandoned your residency and could require you to obtain a returning resident visa from an embassy or consulate. However, simply having the permit does not exempt you from the standard procedures described in immigration law, including reentry inspections to determine your admissibility into the United States. Even if you obtain the permit, you may also be required to complete a secondary inspection, requiring you to answer questions in a separate room.

Moreover, if you spend more than five months of any year outside the United States, Berd & Klauss recommends obtaining a visitor visa instead of a green card. With frequent absence, the government may determine that you have abandoned your intent of residency and revoke your card.

Visit Berd & Klauss, PLLC online to see their full list of legal services, or call (212) 461-7152 to schedule a consultation today with an immigration attorney.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
4 FAQs About Street Encounters with Police, Manhattan, New York
Many undocumented immigrants don’t fully understand their constitutional rights and worry that any interaction with the police will lead to deportation. Fortunately, this is not more
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney, Manhattan, New York
The U.S. immigration system is notoriously complex, with confusing requirements and guidelines that seem to change constantly. Whether you’re applying for a visa or hoping to become more
4 FAQ About Expiring Green Cards , Manhattan, New York
Individuals with a permanent resident alien status are allowed to stay in the United States indefinitely, but the identifying documents issued by USCIS do expire. Fortunately, an more
4 Essential Steps in Consular Processing, Manhattan, New York
Immigrants with a valid basis for applying for permanent residency may do so from their home countries through their local U.S. Department of State consulate. This application more
Data Entry Complete for FY2020 Cap-Subject H-1B Petitions, Manhattan, New York
On May 17, USCIS announced that it completed a crucial step toward processing cap-subject H-1B petitions for the 2020 fiscal year. In the coming weeks, immigration law officials more