Over the last ten years, I have seen massive growth in the number of hosted VoIP services on the market as more and more companies switch to a cloud-based telephone service.
What’s fueling that growth? Here are some of the reasons companies are making the switch, plus some advice on how you can get started.
No in-house systems required
The fundamental difference between cloud systems and conventional landlines is how they’re set up. With a traditional system, you need lots of expensive hardware in your office. This includes the phones, cabling connecting the phones to a landline and so on. All of this costs a lot of money to buy, and then to maintain.
A hosted VoIP service brings far less hardware to the table: All you need is an internet connection and a suitable phone. You can even use your smartphone, but most businesses do purchase IP phones. Either way, there’s no need for an expensive or extensive system within your workplace. The phones connect to the cloud, and everything is done through there.
A cloud-based system can also mean cheaper prices. With VoIP, all of the calls are made using an internet connection, so the service provider chooses a fair price. With a landline, you pay whatever the phone company makes you pay — which is usually a lot.
Access to powerful cloud features
If you’re thinking about making the switch, you should first understand the fundamental differences between a landline and a hosted VoIP telephone service. With a landline, you can make and receive calls. With a hosted VoIP business telephone, you can:
• Convert voicemails into text, so you can read them anywhere.
• Connect your smartphone to the VoIP system so that you can make and receive calls on your business number, even when you aren’t at the office.
• Access a virtual assistant feature that keeps call notes and sends them to you via email.
• Install a companywide system that is easily scalable and updatable. Any alterations or updates to features are instantly added for you, similar to the auto-updates you probably install on your smartphone or tablet. You’re free to add or remove features, so you don’t have to start off with every feature under the sun. But when you are ready to add new features, you can do so without investing in new hardware. Most people find that cloud-based systems are easy to scale to business demands.
How to get started
If you’re new to a hosted VoIP service, you’ll want to make sure you’re maximizing the benefits. Here are a few things you can do to make the most of it.
• Use an auto-attendant or call queue with customized music or messages. This can help prevent your customers from getting frustrated and hanging up before a customer service representative joins the call.
• Use a private listening feature as a training tool to coach a new hire and advise them on how to improve their telephone skills, ultimately allowing them to get up to speed quickly.
• If you have multiple locations, use your desktop phone or web application to see if another team member in another location is available for a call.
• Use AI to save your customers time and route calls to the appropriate department. For example, AI-enabled hosted VoIP services can hear a customer say they need help with their invoice and then quickly route them to the accounting department.
Support local businesses
One final distinction between hosted VoIP services and traditional landlines: The latter is typically provided by a massive telephone company, while you can find the former from a range of excellent local businesses.
Wherever you live, contracting with your local VoIP provider can be a great way to stimulate your local economy. You get the benefits that come with this cloud-based service, but you also get to support another local business.
If you’re looking for more features than your landline can provide, a cloud-based telephone service can be a cost-effective way to scale your business communications.
If your business is in search of a new and improved communications service, turn to the communication experts at Carolina Digital Phone in Greensboro, NC. A telecommunications company focused on bringing innovative digital solutions to your expanding business. Accredited by the Better Business Bureau, serving as a high mark for their quality work. Call (336) 544-4000 today to speak with a representative about changing your phone system or visit them online to learn more.