Norwood, New York
361 E Gun Hill Rd
Bronx, NY 10467
(718) 585-2222
Best NEMT provider in New York City, Westchester, and Long Island.

Does Medicare Cover Non-Emergency Medical Transportation? February 28, 2020

Norwood, Bronx
Does Medicare Cover Non-Emergency Medical Transportation?, Bronx, New York

If you’re living with a disability or have simply passed retirement age, the federal health insurance program Medicare will help take care of your basic needs. However, if you have frequent doctor’s or specialist appointments, you might be burdened by the cost of this non-emergency medical transportation. To find out if your Medicare plan will help with this expense, use the following guide.

Does My Medicare Plan Cover My Medical Transportation Needs?

While original Medicare plans like Part A and Part B may cover emergency transportation, they usually won’t take care of your rides to and from your normal doctor’s visits. In some cases, Medicare Part B may take care of non-emergency ambulance rides. However, they must have been ordered by your doctor, who would have had to diagnose or treat you with a condition that requires ambulance transportation. 

In this case, Medicare Part B will take care of 80% of your transportation costs once your $198 yearly deductible is met. You’ll be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. If you’re having trouble affording your deductible, you can apply for a Medicare Supplement plan or “Medigap.” This will take care of your deductible, as well as some of your coinsurance expenses.

What About Medicare Advantage Plans?

medical transportationFrom 2020 on, Medicare Part C offers extended benefits, such as non-emergency medical transportation, for individuals that qualify. This may include both hired transportation services and ride-sharing services when you need to see your doctor or go to your fitness/physical rehabilitation center. To get this Medicare Advantage Plan, you can look for a private insurance company that is Medicare-approved. It’s important to note that you can’t have a Medicare Advantage plan and Medigap—just one or the other.

In addition to non-emergency medical transportation to doctor’s offices, your Medicare Advantage plan may take care of your dental and vision services, prescription drug costs, wheelchair ramps, and home handrail installations. If you have asthma, this plan might even cover your air conditioner. 

 

If you’re looking for a non-emergency medical transportation service to use with your coverage, reach out to Agape Transportation. With their 24/7 customer support and one-on-one services, many customers refer to the company as the “Uber of medical transportation.” Since 2012, they’ve been helping people throughout New York City and Westchester County get to doctor’s appointments safely and on time. To learn more about their offerings, visit the website. To request a ride, call (718) 585-2222 today.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Agape Transportation Management
4 Steps Doctors Take During Heart Disease Screenings, Bronx, New York
Health services like heart disease screenings benefit patients of all ages, especially if they have a family history of cardiac issues. With the help of screenings, patient...read more
3 Ways to Protect Yourself During Flu Season, Bronx, New York
Flu season typically runs from late fall through early spring, peaking in the winter. While anyone can contract the virus, individuals aged 65 and up are at an increased risk&nb...read more
3 Signs That You’re Ready for a New Career, Bronx, New York
It’s rare to know exactly what career is best for you when you first start working. Luckily, you can always move on to other jobs as you learn more about your talents ...read more
3 Reasons to Work in Medical Transportation, Bronx, New York
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many people have found themselves seeking new employment. Even those who are still employed may be wondering about opportunities that provide more ...read more
What to Expect From a Digital Rectal Exam, Bronx, New York
Prostate cancer can be deadly, but it’s almost always treatable when detected early. Fortunately, Medicare Part B covers 80% of one approved digital rectal exam (DRE) per year f...read more