As your child heads off to pre-school, you may wonder how to pack your little one’s lunchbox with super snacks that are healthy but irresistible too. Crayon Box Preschool, Flushing, NY’s trusted child care center, has a few ideas to get you feeling inspired.
Read on to learn 10 great ways to make healthy snacking exciting for kids:
- Sneak Veggies Into Muffins: Zucchini, carrots, and pumpkin are just a few of the vegetables that blend effortlessly into delicious muffins or other baked goods.
Make It Mini: Miniature-sized snacks are not only more fun, but perfectly portioned too. Try mini pizzas, muffins, and wraps.
- Add A Dip: Diving into dips like hummus, salsa, and Greek Yogurt with herbs makes eating vegetables fun. Try baby carrots, sliced bell peppers, or celery chunks.
- Put It On A Stick: Everything is more fun on a skewer. Try sliding cheese, apple slices, and grapes onto a pre-school safe skewer or a pretzel stick.
Let Them Help: Involving your little one in the action is a great way to make snack time exciting for your child. Day care snack time will be a highlight as he or she dives into the snack they helped prepare.
- Opt For Whole Grains: Find healthier versions of the foods your kids love. There are whole grain versions of many kid favorites, like cereal, pasta, and bread.
- Use Fun Shapes: Healthy food is a whole lot of fun when you use a cookie cutter to make playful shapes. Try cutting watermelon, cheese, and sandwiches in shapes like stars and hearts.
- Make It Handheld: Wrap up sandwiches, pitas, and quesadillas into perfectly sized portions for the small hands of a child. Day care is an exciting time to let your little ones feel independent, and handheld snacks will make them feel all grown up.
- Try a Frozen Treat: Put a new twist on your go-to snacks by putting them in the freezer. Yogurt tubes and apple sauce will thaw into delicious slushy treats by snack time.
Crayon Box Preschool in Flushing is a safe and welcoming child care center open to kids from ages three to five. To learn more, call the day care center at (718) 888-9341 or visit their website.