Can you imagine a trick-or-treat bag filled with only apples and celery? Neither can your kids. Although healthy snacks are undoubtedly a better choice, the Dental Clinic of Onalaska knows that it’s probably not realistic to expect your children to completely avoid candy this Halloween. Family dentist Dr. Mike Olsen has three children of his own and understands that many parents struggle with reducing or eliminating sugary treats. He offers a full range of dental services at his Onalaska office, including teeth whitening, veneers, and dental implants.
Streptococcus mutans, a type of bacteria, lives in your child’s mouth and leaps into action when he or she eats candy or other sugary foods. The bacteria breaks down the sugar into acids and plaque, both of which can cause cavities. Some candies remain in your child’s mouth longer than others, increasing the potential for tooth decay. These candies include:
- Hard Candy: When your child licks a lollipop or sucks on a piece of hard candy for 10 or 15 minutes, bacteria has ample opportunity to turn that sugar into plaque and acid.
- Sticky Candy: After eating sticky candies, such as caramels and gummy treats, small pieces of the candy tend to remain on the teeth or between the teeth.
- Sour, Sticky Candy: Sour and sticky candy is the absolute worst type of candy for your child’s teeth. The acids in sour candy can quickly eat away tooth enamel, and the sticky nature of the candy means that it adheres to the teeth, causing even more problems.
Daily brushing and flossing, in addition to regular visits to your dentist, will help reduce tooth decay. Don’t have a dentist? Call the Dental Clinic of Onalaska at (608) 783-3341 for an appointment. And visit the website to view a full list of the services available.