Moving is as arduous as it is exciting, particularly with young children. Preparing for a move with your spouse or cat is one thing, but preparing to move with children requires planning, strategy, and well-thought out answers to difficult questions. Becker Movers is the moving company that can help you with just about every part of the process, from packing to storage to international moving, but you will have to face your kids yourself!
Don’t worry, you’re not alone; kids and parents survive their moves every day. Take a look at these tips from the professional movers and experienced parents:
- Let your kids in on as much as possible. Discuss the move in advance, include them in the process, give them all the information you can, and answer ALL their questions. Kids just want to feel like they are a part of the process, if they do, they will be far more comfortable with it.
- Don’t rush it! Plan way, way ahead so you can be prepared and in control when the move rolls around. This will give your kids time to adjust, and give you time to make everything ready for them in your new home.
- Many kids will be leaving friends and familiarities they have known for their entire lives. Make a memory board or throw a goodbye party - it doesn’t have to be a big bash, but a neighborhood pizza party could be really comforting.
- Take their concerns seriously.
- Label the kids’ boxes in great detail. In the emotional turmoil of the move they might fixate on a specific toy and you will want to know exactly where it is.
- Moving is an adventure! Your kids will feel that way too if you talk about and plan exciting new activities in your new location, or you let them have a big sundae for dinner (just this once).
- Once you’re settled, try and maintain some semblance of your old routine. A little bit of familiarity can go a long way on the winding road to being settled in your new location.
Overall, what you really need to do is make moving as fun and easy for your kids, as you wish it could be for yourself. There are different strategies to accomplishing a seamless move as an adult, and we all wish we could be the recipients of a pizza (pity) party when it comes time to move. For you grownups, your best bet is hiring a reliable moving company. Becker Movers can be your parents by making the move as easy as possible. Start by calling (585) 267-5736 for a free estimate!