Pizza is a popular, versatile dish that many people count among their top favorite foods. Despite its popularity, most are unaware of pizza’s tasty origin story. Here are some interesting pizza facts to share with friends the next time you’re enjoying a slice.
The Ancient Origins of Pizza
The origins of pizza are hotly debated, but some ancient recipes were clear precursors to the dish. For instance, flatbreads have ancient origins in multiple regions of the world, including the Middle East and Greece. However, Greeks and Romans were the first to top their dough-based flatbreads with olive oil and spices, which is more common with traditional pizzas.
Pizza as It’s Known Today
The pizza most people are familiar with is said to have originated in Naples, Italy, in the late 1800s. Baker Raffaele Esposito was said to have created the dish to honor King Umberto I and Queen Margherita when they visited his city. His creation, which included mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil, is now referred to as Pizza Margherita and still served to this day. The first American pizzeria was opened in the early 1900s in New York City.
Pizza From Around the World
Pizza traditions can also vary greatly around the world.
- Italy: Pizza Bianca is Rome’s version of “white pizza,” with only dough, sea salt, cheese, and other seasonings. This makes it similar to Foccacia flatbread.
- Georgia: Georgian pizza is more like a breakfast dish. It’s composed of bread stuffed with egg and cheese.
- Turkey: Turkish flatbread pizza features spicy lamb or beef, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, and parsley. The dish is usually topped with a squeeze of lemon.
- Japan: Pizza dough in Japan is closer to a pancake, and the common toppings are equally as surprising. Natives include seafood, pork, and kimchi, which is fermented cabbage.
- France: French pizza features delicious and fresh toppings, including anchovies, caramelized onions, and olives, and it’s usually served as an appetizer.
When in search of pizza and Italian fare in Oxford, CT, you want a place that offers both a great ambiance and delicious food. Brookside Inn Restaurant provides just that, which is why it has been a staple of local diners since its opening in 1954. Along with pizza, they also offer steaks, pasta, and delectable seafood dishes. The beautiful establishment also features a full bar and private banquet room. Call (203) 888-2272 for more information or check out their menu online.