Texarkana, Arkansas
610 Division Ave
Texarkana, AR 71854
(870) 775-1035

Electrical Fires FAQ November 5, 2019

Texarkana, Miller
Electrical Fires FAQ, Texarkana, Arkansas

An electrical fire can erupt before homeowners have a chance to call for emergency electrical services. It can be a worrisome thought for many homeowners, but there are ways that you can better protect your home. Consider the following four questions below to help keep you and your family safe.

4 FAQ About Electrical Fires

What causes them?

When a homeowner calls for emergency electrical services, it’s usually to have faulty wiring repaired, which is not the only cause of electrical fires. Using a light bulb with a wattage that’s too high for the lighting fixture to handle is another common cause. Lamps, appliances, and other electrical devices that develop a short have the potential to cause an electrical fire. If you suspect a device is damaged, contact someone who performs the necessary repair work to fix the equipment. 

What are some preventative measures to take?

emergency electrical servicesIf you use a portable space heater, be sure it’s not too close to flammable items like fabric or clothing. It’s also important to only use extension cords temporarily. If you need a more permanent solution, have an electrician install new outlets in your home. Finally, if your home is older than 20 years, new wiring is a big probability. Hiring an electrician to perform a safety inspection can help you keep your home safe.

What are the signs that something is becoming a fire hazard? 

There are a few signs that something in your home is raising the risk of an electrical fire. One of the first warning signs you’ll notice is that your circuit breakers keep tripping, or you may also notice a burning smell without an identifiable source. Lastly, you may notice that outlets or light switches appear black or charred. If you notice any of these warning signs, you should call for emergency electrical service.

What to do if there is one?

If there is an electrical fire in your home, you should attempt to disconnect the electricity. You can do this by stopping the energy flow to the device that’s on fire, such as unplugging a toaster, or if it’s a larger fire and you can safely get to the home’s electrical panel, you should shut off power at the source. For larger fires, always call 911 right away.

 

It’s wise to call someone to conduct an assessment of your home’s system if you're unsure of the last evaluation. A preventative inspection, conducted by Service First Pro Electrical & Plumbing in Texarkana, AR, can save you from having to call for emergency electrical service down the road. To learn more about their services, visit their website, or schedule an appointment by calling (870) 775-1035 today.