Honolulu, Hawaii
2968 Ualena Street
Honolulu, HI 96819
(808) 836-6955

What to Do If Your Home Has Lead Paint September 10, 2019

Honolulu, Honolulu
What to Do If Your Home Has Lead Paint, Honolulu, Hawaii

Many homeowners don’t realize the dangers that lead paint poses. The federal government banned the substance for residential use in 1978, but many older properties still contain it. While the element occurs naturally in nature, it’s toxic to humans and can cause a number of serious health concerns. Here’s what you should know to determine if your home is impacted and how a lead paint removal professional can help.

Where Should You Look for Lead Paint?

Lead isn’t obvious to the naked eye, but may be present on any painted area in or outside the house, including railings, banisters, window sills, door frames, and porches. The older the home, the more likely that the paint is present throughout the property. For homes with flaking or peeling lead-paint exteriors, inspections may reveal trace contents of lead in the soil, which can be hazardous for kids and pets who play outside.

What Are Some Signs of Lead Paint?

The year your home was built can tell you a lot about its potential lead content. Those constructed before 1940 are especially likely to contain it; the percentage decreases from decade to decade.

Deteriorating lead paint typically takes on a scaly appearance similar to alligator cracks in asphalt. It may also look like it’s peeling away, or have a cracked or chipped appearance. If you observe such a spot anywhere on the property, have a lead paint removal specialist assess it.

Why Is It Considered So Dangerous?

Honolulu, HI lead paint removalIf the lead paint isn’t damaged in any way, it may not pose a threat. Concerns arise when the paint breaks, flakes, and forms dust, which can spread throughout the home. Ingesting lead is harmful to the entire body. Unfortunately, kids and pets tend to put potentially contaminated objects in their mouths. Lead can also affect unborn babies if the mother absorbs it and passes it on.

What Should You Do if You Suspect a Problem?

Schedule a home inspection with a specialist, who will conduct a thorough investigation and take samples of each painted surface on the property. If the test is positive, hire a lead paint removal technician to eliminate it from the home. Only then can you be certain that the property is safe.

 

Are you concerned about the presence of lead paint in your home? Turn to the experts at Ohana Environmental Construction in Honolulu, HI. Providing dependable service throughout the area for more than 35 years, the company performs prompt, thorough testing and lead paint removal services to restore your home to safe conditions. Visit the licensed and insured construction company online to learn more about their process. You can also call (808) 836-6955 to schedule an inspection.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Ohana Environmental Construction, Inc.
How Mold Impacts Health, Honolulu, Hawaii
Most people understand that mold isn’t good for them. However, not everyone understands what kinds of risks this fungus poses to their health, or how to spot it in time to inves...read more
4 FAQ About Lead Paint, Honolulu, Hawaii
Today, lead paint is known to be dangerous, so it’s no longer used. However, older homes may still contain the substance. If you live in an older home and are worried about this...read more
3 Signs of Water Damage in a Home, Honolulu, Hawaii
Gradual leaks often go unnoticed until they get bad enough to cause water damage. They can then lead to mold growth and serious structural issues. Identifying moisture will help...read more
Top 3 Signs a Home Has a Mold Infestation, Honolulu, Hawaii
While small amounts of  mold typically aren’t dangerous, the presence of moisture creates ideal conditions for the fungus to grow and spread rapidly. Many homes then develop har...read more
Why Asbestos Is Dangerous, Honolulu, Hawaii
Once widely popular as insulation in homes and businesses across the world, asbestos only became widely known as a dangerous substance in the 1970s. Since then, its use has dwin...read more