If most of your day is consisting of hunching over your computer or staring down at a smartphone, you most most likely experience pain associated with “tech neck”. This condition is consisted of repeatedly craning your head down and forward to look at a screen which can add a excess pressure of 50 pounds to bones and muscles meant to handle a lot less.
The good news is that exercises can be performed to help discomfort and reverse pain. These exercises will help stretch those tight muscles and keep the head in correct alignment.
- Lay face down on the floor with legs extended behind you. Keep legs down and your hands directly under shoulders.
Keep your chin tucked, looking down on the floor, then slowly take your hands off the ground and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
Lower your upper body while staying in that position, then raise up and contract your glutes. Do this motion 10 times.
1. Start on your knees and hands directly below shoulders. Keep your spine in neutral position and look at the floor. Slowly extend your left leg behind you while reaching your right arm forward. Keep core engaged, hips and shoulders square and make sure your lower back doesn't arch.
2. Slowly return to starting position and repeat with opposite arm and leg. Repeat 10 times.
Upward Facing Dog
1. Begin by lying face down on the floor with your legs extended behind you. Place your hands alongside your body apply pressure to the ground, and lift your torso off the ground. Make sure your shoulders are aligned right above your wrist.
2. Open your chest to the ceiling and tilt your head back. Now, you are going to look to the left while you squeeze your right glute and press your right hip to the ground. Alternate sides for 10 repetitions.
Dr. Brian Augustine of Augustine Chiropractic in Wesley Chapel, FL, has over 31 years of experience treating patients for their neck pain and other ailments through personalized chiropractic care treatments. The locally owned and operated chiropractic clinic offers both in-office treatments and at-home therapy regimens to help people recover and heal from auto injuries and other conditions. The staff is dedicated to providing alternative and therapeutic solutions for better overall health. Give them a call today at (813) 994-6008 to schedule an appointment or visit their website to learn more about their services!