Riding a jet ski is a whole lot of fun, but unfortunately, accidents do happen. That’s where jet ski insurance comes in, protecting you and your investment so you can ride the waves with peace of mind. If you’re the owner of this type of personal watercraft, take a closer look at how to give it the proper coverage.
What Type of Insurance Covers Jet Skis?
Coverage for this type of recreational equipment falls under personal watercraft (PWC) insurance. Though your homeowners policy might have some limited coverage for "small boats" that may apply to your jet ski, typically this coverage isn't much. Therefore, if you want to protect yourself and your jet ski, PWC is likely a better option.
Why Do You Need Jet Ski Insurance?
Some states require you have liability insurance coverage for any watercraft. If you financed your jet ski, the lender may also have additional insurance requirements. Look up your state requirements, read your financing agreement, and talk to the management where you dock your jet ski to find out what type of insurance coverage you need. Whether insurance is legally required or not, it’s a sound investment for your protection.
What’s Covered by Jet Ski Insurance?
PWC coverage varies depending on the policy. Typically, you can purchase an insurance policy that covers any or all of the following:
- Collision: Covers repair and replacement of your own watercraft when it's damaged in a collision.
- Comprehensive: Covers damage to your watercraft caused by vandalism, falling objects, fire, etc.
- Liability: Covers medical costs for bodily injuries you’re responsible for as well as property damage you cause to boats, docks, watercraft, and other objects.
- Medical Payments: Covers medical costs related to your own injuries if you’re in an accident on your jet ski.
- On-Water Towing: Covers wreck removal or towing.
- Uninsured Boaters: Covers your medical costs for injuries you incur in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured boater/watercraft rider.
- Additional: You also may be able to customize your policy to cover accessories, personal items, supplies, and trailers.
How Much Does It Cost?
As with all types of insurance, the policy cost will vary greatly depending on your liability limits and deductible. Other factors that affect the premiums include the year, make, and model of your watercraft as well as its value. You may also be able to get a "good driver" discount if you've taken any boating safety courses.
For reliable and comprehensive jet ski insurance, turn to the experts at A Affordable Insurance Services. Since 2006, this locally owned insurance company has been serving residents and businesses in Stanly County, NC, for all their insurance needs. Whether you’re looking for auto, boat, motorcycle, or homeowners insurance, this licensed and bonded company can deliver the coverage you need at affordable rates. Call (704) 986-2222 to get a free estimate or visit their website to learn more about their services.