The hydrangea is a gorgeous flowering shrub available in a number of stunning hues. Most hydrangeas are white; however, soil pH determines whether blooms turn out pink, blue, light purple, red, or dark purple. Size ranges from three feet to over 10 feet, though some can ascend to over 80 feet!
The plant’s purple and blue flowers are staff member favorites at Flowerworks in Brooklyn, NY, which features a variety of these beautiful hydrangea arrangements.
Let’s review a few hydrangea care tips from the expert florists:
- Spring or Fall: Plant hydrangeas in early spring or fall for best results. Ensure the location you choose is out of the afternoon sun and protected from powerful winds. The area should also give hydrangeas plenty of room to expand.
- Soil pH: Grow your hydrangeas in more acidic soil to encourage purple and blue flowers or alkaline soil to produce pink flowers. If blue flowers are desired, test your soil’s pH level and add aluminum sulfate in the spring so pH is between 5.2 and 5.5.
- Well-Draining Soil: Use well-draining soil to plant hydrangeas, as overly wet soil can easily result in root rot and plant death.
- Partial Shade to Full Sun: Expose hydrangeas to full sun if desired, though most also do well in partial shade. As long as soil is rich and moist, your hydrangeas will thrive.
- Organic Matter: Feed hydrangeas with organic matter and slow-release fertilizers to encourage healthy growth.
- Watering: Deeply water hydrangeas about once a week. Additional watering may be required depending on how hot or dry conditions are.
Utilize these tips from Flowerworks and enjoy beautiful hydrangeas! And of course you can purchase gorgeous hydrangea bouquets and arrangements from Flowerworks if you don't have a green thumb. Discuss hydrangea arrangements with the expert florists and send an unforgettable flower delivery surprise.
For more on floral arrangements, as well as wedding flowers available through Flowerworks, please call (718) 230-9393 or visit the website today.