Dr. Joseph is a Director at The Peak Health Foundation. He has been bio-hacking humans and phyto-hacking plants since 1984. He is a leading speaker on human health and has given numerous presentations at Medical conferences. He has pioneered the development of the “Deep Health Device®”, a very discriminating method to measure human health (patent pending), and has published more than 42 papers and patents.
Dr. Joseph promotes the concept of “endohealth” or “health from within”. While measuring athletes at The Ohio State University in 1984, he realized that their performance was very dependent on their body composition and structure. This in turn was very dependent on regular training and the nutrition they consumed. He tailored measurement protocols, along with nutrition and training programs to “bio-hack” better receivers, running backs, linemen etc for Coach Earle Bruce, and their football program.
He points out that degeneration of the body, due to poor habits, accounts for 87% of all diseases today. Pharmaceutical drugs only make this problem worse and are an ineffective treatment. The most effective way to maintain health is self-self-discipline, which he champions is “self-love.”
He is a leading authority on food related diseases, food & drug safety, and drug intolerance. He currently advises leading food/pharmaceutical companies, the Food & Agricultural Organization and the World Health Organization— primarily in the areas of food & drug safety, additives, food borne diseases and genetically modified foods.
He worked for his uncle, Douglas Johnson, proprietor of “Johnson & Johnson Ayurvedic Pharmacy” (established in 1832) when he was 7 years old. At a very young age, Dr. Joseph was exposed to the medicinal properties of plants, and the various techniques to extract their functional ingredients. He is a renowned “phyto hacker” and has—
- Modified Acacia senegal to produce better emulsifiers
- Bred Kriya brand Humulus to produce CBD
- Manufactured Arteether from Artemisia annua to treat malaria
- Extracted a unique component of Costus pictus to provide diabetic relief
- Identified the alkaloid Amaryllidaceae in Galanthus woronowii that is being studied as a potential treatment for Alzheimer
- Optimized the production of Apomorphine hydrochloride from Papaver somniftrum
- Isolated Tiotropium bromide from Atropa belladonna as a natural source for the treatment of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Manufactured Nitisinone in large quantities from Callistemon citrinus
- Applied for patents to produce extracts from Chaetomium globosum and Pseudomonas putida which may have anti cancer properties.
- Developed unique formulations for more than 50 plant based products that are being studied for their effectiveness against various maladies.
He earned his Ph.D. from The Ohio State University and his dissertation was on ligand binding to G Protein Receptors on cell membrane surfaces. He is an alumnus of the Harvard Business School (PMD 58), and a Patron member of the Harvard Business School Association of Northern California. He is also a member of the American Society of Pharmacognosy and a founding member of The Obesity Society.