Wahoo, Nebraska

A Guide to Guardianship vs. Conservatorship August 12, 2019

Wahoo, Saunders
A Guide to Guardianship vs. Conservatorship, Wahoo, Nebraska

As the senior population continues to grow, more people are likely to seek guardianships and conservatorships over their loved ones. The court appoints these positions once it has been determined an individual no longer has the ability to act in their own best interest. Below is an overview of what these roles entail and how they’re established. 

What Is Guardianship & Conservatorship? 

Guardianships and conservatorships are both court-ordered relationships that grant one person the legal authority to make decisions on behalf of another person, who is referred to as a ward. However, a guardian is appointed to make personal decisions on issues including medical care, living arrangements, and education, whereas a conservator is appointed to make financial decisions. In some cases, a guardian may also make decisions in regards to the ward’s estate and property.

Responsibilities of Guardians & Conservators 

guardianshipGuardians are expected to handle all aspects that affect a ward’s day-to-day life. They ensure their loved one’s basic needs are met and they’re getting proper health care. Guardians must also maintain relationships with the ward’s attorneys, financial consultants, doctors, and service providers. Conservators are typically responsible for paying the ward’s bills, investing their assets, entering into contracts on their behalf, and taking care of any other duty that pertains to their finances.

Process of Becoming a Guardian or Conservator

To be appointed guardianship or conservatorship in Nebraska, a petition must be filed with the court. This will start the process of finding out if your relative lacks the capacity to make sound decisions. All applicants are required to undergo a background check, enroll in an educational course, and provide information about their own finances. After being appointed, guardians must report to the court annually to give an update on the ward’s condition, and conservators must present annual accounting records. 


If you’re looking to oversee the affairs of an aging family member, contact The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer. With a well-established history that spans more than a century, the firm has helped countless residents throughout Saunders County, NE, successfully set up a guardianship or conservatorship. To schedule a consultation, call (402) 443-3225, or visit their website for more information on the legal services they provide. 

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer
3 Common Real Estate Title Issues, Wahoo, Nebraska
Buying a home is a major transaction, and you should hire an attorney that is familiar with real estate law to guide you through the process. This allows you to identify an...read more
A Guide to Medical Power of Attorney, Wahoo, Nebraska
As you begin the estate planning process, you might think about what you’ll leave behind for your loved ones. However, you must also consider who will take care of you if you be...read more
What Are the Differences Between Wills & Trusts?, Wahoo, Nebraska
As you begin the estate planning process, the first terms you’ll face are “will” and “trust.” That’s because these elements will account for the majority of the assets within yo...read more
What Are the Differences Between a Sole Proprietorship & LLC?, Wahoo, Nebraska
One of the most significant steps of launching a new company is choosing a business entity. This will determine the amount of taxes that you must pay, as well as the level of liabili...read more
How to Modify a Custody Agreement in Nebraska, Wahoo, Nebraska
Nebraska family law recognizes that parents’ circumstances may change over time. As such, they allow parents to modify child custody arrangements. However, because these are off...read more