The legal complexity of getting a divorce is nearly as intimidating as the emotional impact of dissolving your marriage, but the legal document preparation specialists at We The People of NY can help. You can rely on them for a variety of legal services, including help preparing your divorce papers. Before you proceed, however, they recommend considering the following factors to make sure that you're fully prepared:
- Divorce involves a variety of complex issues, including child custody, child support, equitable distribution of property, maintenance or spousal support, and the emotional impact.
- In New York, couples no longer need to state the grounds for a divorce. Instead, you can simply claim that the marriage has been irreparably broken for a period of at least six months. However, you will still need to rectify all of the other issues before your divorce is granted.
- Most divorces do not go to trial, and many are best resolved through reaching a mutually agreeable settlement.
- Equitable distribution is highly complicated, involving almost all of the assets you have acquired during the course of the marriage. Fair division doesn't always mean that each partner gets half of the estate, as a wide variety of factors are involved.
- If children are involved in your divorce, there are several different custody arrangements available, as well as child and spousal support. When discussing these issues, it's important to keep emotions from clouding your decision-making.
Visit We The People of NY online now to learn more, call (212) 633-2200, or stop by their office at 219 West 14th St. between 7th and 8th Avenues.