Seeing the check engine light flick on in your car can be a cause for mystery. The car is running smoothly, so what could be wrong?Frecks & Sons' Automotive is an auto maintenance and repair shop in Saint Peters, MO that will lay that question to rest. Their mechanics are experienced in auto electrical repairs, engine repairs, and of course, good old-fashioned oil changes. When that light comes on, they will pinpoint the issue with your car and fix it as quickly and affordably as possible. If the check engine light is illuminated, you can likely expect one of the following diagnoses:
- The oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. This sensor measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust system, and if it is acting up, it can damage your spark plugs or catalytic converter. Equally importantly, your engine will burn up to 40 percent more fuel than necessary until it is replaced.
- The gas cap is loose, damaged or missing. Since the gas cap seals your fuel inside and maintains pressure in the tank, a lack of a gas cap can lead to gas evaporation that costs you money.
- The catalytic converter needs to be replaced. This critical device protects the atmosphere by converting carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Without it, your vehicle will not pass emissions inspections and will pollute the air.
- The mass airflow sensor needs to be replaced. This sensor measures airflow into the engine and determines how much fuel the engine needs. If this sensor malfunctions, the engine will not run correctly.
- The spark plugs need to be replaced. Old spark plugs won't burn the fuel completely and can cause misfires. When the spark plugs aren't functioning properly, it can cause damage to many other components, including the ignition coils, catalytic converter, and oxygen sensor.
Identifying engine problems and working with delicate parts should be left to the professionals when your check engine light comes on. Call Frecks & Sons' Automotive at (636) 928-5326 to make an appointment today.