Garment District, New York
42 W 38th St #204
New York, NY 10018
(212) 221-0440

A Guide to 3 Varieties of Silver May 14, 2019

Garment District, Manhattan
A Guide to 3 Varieties of Silver, Manhattan, New York

Buying a new piece of silver jewelry is an exciting way to grow your collection of treasures. Whether you’re in the market for necklaces, bracelets, or earrings, it’s important to understand the detail behind the piece you’re wearing so you can ensure its value. Below are three of the most prominent types of silvers used by jewelry manufacturers, along with advice on how to recognize their individual qualities. 

3 Varieties of Silver

1. Sterling Silver

Sterling silver is found at most jewelry stores and is commonly used by jewelry manufacturers. It’s an alloy composed of 92.5% silver; the remaining 7.5% consists of another metal, typically copper. Sterling silver is typically marked with the number 925 to reflect this percentage. Pure silver is too soft to be used for jewelry, which is why a second metal must be added to strengthen the silver. 

2. Silvadium

jewelry-manufacturerSilvadium is a type of silver alloy that incorporates palladium as the additional metal. Jewelry manufacturers offer this as a popular alternative to platinum jewelry, especially for wedding rings, due to the metal’s gorgeous white shine. It’s also hypoallergenic and won’t tarnish like sterling silver. 

3. Deoxidized Silver

Deoxidized silver is an alloy combination commonly used by jewelry manufacturers. Instead of combining pure silver with copper, other elements are used, such as zinc and germanium. These additional metals provide tarnish-resistance properties that prevent the silver from turning dark or green when exposed to the moisture in the air. It also protects against firescale, a reaction to oxygen that causes silver to turn a reddish color during the silver casting process. 

 

 

Silver jewelry is an investment, which is why you should turn to a jeweler that specializes in silver casting. Frank Billanti Jewelry Casting is the premier jewelry manufacturer in Manhattan, NY, specializing in a variety of casting materials, including gold, silver, bronze, and brass. With over 35 years in the industry, these experts will provide you with one-of-a-kind, high-quality pieces. Call them at (212) 221-0440 today or visit their website to browse their metal options and inventory.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Frank Billanti Jewelry Casting
5 Characteristics of a Quality Diamond , Manhattan, New York
Diamonds are investments with both high financial value and personal significance. If you’re purchasing a stone for yourself or a loved one, ensure you’re getting it from a trusted s...read more
A Guide to Men's Wedding Band Metals, Manhattan, New York
Designing men's wedding bands begins with choosing a metal. Jewelry manufacturers can utilize a variety of different materials in the process, but gold, platinum, and silver are amon...read more
Jewelry Casting Experts Offer a Precious Stone Purchasing Guide, Manhattan, New York
Creating a custom bracelet, ring, or necklace is a fantastic way to treat yourself or show a loved one how special they are. To complete this project, you’ll need to take a few steps...read more
Gold vs. Silver: Which Metal to Choose for Jewelry Casting, Manhattan, New York
Whether you’re adding a new piece to your current jewelry collection or having wedding bands made, you’ll need to choose a material.  While gold and silver are the most pop...read more
3 Reasons to Visit a Jewelry Trade Show, Manhattan, New York
The jewelry industry is constantly changing, with manufacturers introducing new and innovative products all the time. One of the best places to see the industry’s newest trends is at...read more