Central Whidbey Island, Washington
1 Front St NW
Coupeville, WA 98239
(360) 678-4407

How Do Evictions Work in Washington? April 29, 2019

Central Whidbey Island, Island
How Do Evictions Work in Washington?, Central Whidbey Island, Washington

Being a landlord can be a financially rewarding experience, but it also has its challenges. Dealing with problem tenants is often the most difficult part of the job, especially if an eviction becomes necessary. If you feel that terminating a tenancy is your best option, it’s wise to seek advice from an attorney to ensure you don’t violate any laws or make mistakes that could cause the court to rule in the tenant’s favor.

A Guide to the Washington Eviction Process 

Issuing a Prelawsuit Unlawful Detainer Notice 

Once you enter into a lease with a tenant, they are generally entitled to use your property until an event occurs that ends their rights. You cannot initiate an eviction before this happens. The law allows landlords to terminate a tenancy for the following reasons:

  • Failing to pay on time
  • Failing to comply with the terms of the lease
  • Committing a minor criminal act, leaving waste, or being a nuisance 
  • Engaging in drug activity, gang-related activity, or a serious criminal act involving a deadly weapon

If any of these circumstances apply, you may serve a three-day notice to pay the rent that’s due or vacate the property, a 10-day notice to comply with the terms of the agreement or vacate, a three-day notice to eliminate waste or stop nuisance behavior, or a 20-day notice of termination. 

Filing an Eviction With the Court 

attorneyIf a tenant doesn’t comply with a notice, you can file an Unlawful Detainer Action with the court to begin the eviction proceedings. The tenant then has to be served a Summons and Eviction Complaint. If they respond, you will need to file a motion for an order to show cause and attend a hearing. If they don’t respond, you will be awarded a Writ of Restitution. 

Laws a Landlord Must Consider

It is illegal in every state for landlords to use intimidation tactics to try and force a tenant to leave. As such, you may not change the locks to deny access, make threats, shut off the utilities, or remove their belongings from the property. These are known as self-help evictions and engaging in such behavior can cause you to lose your case or become financially liable if the tenant decides to file a lawsuit.

If you’re unsure what might be considered unlawful, consult an attorney. After being given a Writ of Restitution to vacate the property, a tenant has three days to remove their personal possessions. After this time, you can have the sheriff schedule a mandatory move within 10 days.


Regardless of your reason for wanting to remove a renter from your property, the guidance of an attorney can prove invaluable through the eviction process. For more than two decades, McPherson & McPherson Attorneys at Law has been the go-to source for representation in landlord-tenant disputes. Attorney Molly McPherson has helped numerous property owners throughout Island County, WA, resolve tenant terminations smoothly and quickly. She will ensure you know your rights and follow the proper procedure. Call (360) 678-4407 to schedule an attorney consultation or visit the firm online for more information.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from McPherson & McPherson Attorneys At Law
How Does Child Custody Work When the Parents Were Never Married?, Central Whidbey Island, Washington
Ending a long-term relationship is never easy, and unfortunately, if you are an unmarried couple, you also don’t have all of the same legal protections married couples have when they...read more
Guardianship vs. Custody, Central Whidbey Island, Washington
When it comes to matters of family law, some subjects are complicated. While describing legal relationships between an adult and a child, some may conflate guardianship and child cus...read more
How to Talk to Kids About Divorce, Central Whidbey Island, Washington
While divorce is never easy, it can be even more difficult when you have children. Many kids don’t know how to process their emotions and might feel like their world is crumbling. Be...read more
A Brief Guide on Seeking Child Support, Central Whidbey Island, Washington
Child support is an ongoing payment from one parent to another to be used for the benefit of the child. It is designed to protect the child from some of the common financial repercus...read more
FAQ About Estate Planning for Small Business Owners , Central Whidbey Island, Washington
If you own a small business, it’s essential to devise a comprehensive estate plan sooner rather than later. Not only will various arrangements preserve your life’s wor...read more