Wahoo, Nebraska

How to Obtain Guardianship of a Parent March 25, 2019

Wahoo, Saunders
How to Obtain Guardianship of a Parent, Wahoo, Nebraska

Many aging parents reach a point where they are no longer of sound mind to make rational decisions on their own. When this occurs, adult children often find it necessary to take over the day-to-day management of their loved one’s affairs. This can be done by going through a court proceeding to obtain guardianship, making the parent a ward and giving their child authorization to handle decisions regarding health care, finances, living arrangements, and property. If you believe it’s in your parent’s best interest for you to become their guardian, here’s an overview of how to go about that process.

What Are the Steps Involved in Establishing Guardianship in Nebraska?

Petition the Court 

Most guardianship cases begin when the prospective guardian files a petition with the court. However, before doing so, it’s strongly recommended that the petitioner seek legal counsel to ensure the proper procedure is being followed. Your legal counsel will also help explain why you think guardianship is necessary and gather the proof you need to support this claim.

Give Notice & Provide Documentation

guardianshipThe next step is giving the proposed ward notice of the petition. If they have a spouse or other adult children, they must also be notified. In Nebraska, this has to be done at least 14 days prior to the court hearing that will be held to determine whether or not a guardian should be appointed. Additionally, you will be required to submit a credit report and background check no less than 10 days before the scheduled hearing.

Attend a Hearing 

Upon receiving the petition, a court hearing will be set where the judge will identify if guardianship is needed based on the evidence you present. The court must declare your parent incapable of making sound decisions and find that guardianship is the least restrictive alternative available. You will also likely need to demonstrate you have a care plan in mind. If the petition is granted, you will also have to go through court-approved training.  


Instituting a guardianship can be a challenging and emotionally-draining experience. Therefore, having knowledgeable and compassionate legal support to guide you through the process is essential. At The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer, clients are represented by attorneys who offer decades of experience in family law. They will help you put together a strong case showing why your loved one needs assistance with their personal affairs and what makes you a suitable candidate to take on that role. Call the Wahoo, NE, law office at (402) 443-3225 to schedule a consultation, or visit their website to learn more about court-appointed guardianship. 

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer
3 Ways Family & Friends Can Help a Caregiver , Wahoo, Nebraska
Acting as power of attorney or taking on a guardianship role when a loved one is no longer able to care for themselves can be challenging. It’s common for caregivers to become overwh...read more
What to Know About Choosing an Executor for Your Will, Wahoo, Nebraska
During the estate planning process, one of the most important tasks you’ll need to accomplish is naming an executor for your will. To ensure the best person is chosen ...read more
3 Tips for Choosing a Guardian for Your Children, Wahoo, Nebraska
Thinking about who should take guardianship of your children should something happen to you and your spouse is an uncomfortable topic, but it's an essential plan for an unpredictable...read more
4 Steps in the Civil Litigation Process , Wahoo, Nebraska
Legal disputes between people, businesses, and government entities arise every day. If the parties involved are unable to reach a settlement or agree on another way to reso...read more
How to Create a Living Will , Wahoo, Nebraska
While most of us don’t want to think about the future after our own passing, it can sometimes be harder to contemplate a scenario where we don’t die but just become incapacitated in ...read more