Garment District, New York
42 W 38th St #204
New York, NY 10018
(212) 221-0440

5 FAQ on Platinum Jewelry February 7, 2019

Garment District, Manhattan
5 FAQ on Platinum Jewelry, Manhattan, New York

Platinum has only been used in jewelry making since the beginning of the 19th century. It’s a strong, beautiful, and exceptionally rare metal — qualities that make it perfect as a symbol of romance for wedding and engagement rings. Using platinum in custom jewelry casting makes for a meaningful gift that symbolizes devotion and endurance. Here are the answers to four commonly asked questions about platinum jewelry.

5 Top Questions on Platinum

How does jewelry casting work for platinum?

The process of casting platinum is different from that of gold or silver. The temperatures used are much higher, necessitating specially designed molds. It also requires a special casting alloy with a fine grain and high liquidity. These difficulties are part of why platinum items make such excellent gifts: they need skilled craftsmanship and unparalleled attention to detail. 

What is 950 platinum?

950 platinum is a blended metal. Pure platinum comprises 95%. The remaining 5% is an alloy of metals like ruthenium, copper, cobalt, iridium, rhodium, and palladium. This high percentage of platinum makes it extremely valuable. 

Is platinum safe for people with allergies?

jewelry castingPlatinum is hypoallergenic. This makes it ideal for those with sensitive skin. Its purity also provides a brilliant white luster with an enduring beauty.

How durable is platinum?

Platinum is exceptionally hardy. Even on gold and silver bands, platinum is frequently used for the diamond setting since it won’t break or bend. It can be scratched, like all precious metals, but none of the volume of the platinum will be lost — just displaced.

How do I care for my platinum valuables? 

Platinum isn’t prone to corrosion or tarnishing, so upkeep is relatively simple. Care for your platinum jewelry by removing it before you perform manual labor or contact sports, storing it in a soft bag, cleaning it periodically with a gentle solution of soap and water, and bringing it to an expert for occasional touch-ups. 

 

If you’re seeking a skilled expert to assist with jewelry casting or electroplating in Manhattan, NY, contact the professionals at Frank Billanti Jewelry Casting. With over 35 years of experience, these master craftsmen will assist with all your jewelry fabrication needs. They use only the best materials for their jewelry casting, including 950 platinum. Learn more about their services today by visiting them online or calling (212) 221-0440.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Frank Billanti Jewelry Casting
Why Watch Customization Is Trending, Manhattan, New York
Not long ago, people showed off their personal style by accessorizing with a luxury watch. However, simply buying a high-end timepiece is no longer enough for many customers. Here’s ...read more
Temporarily Closed Due To COVID-19, Manhattan, New York
Dear Customers,   The safety of our customers and staff has always been, and remains, our highest priority.  To that end, we will be temporarily ceasing operations until...read more
What to Know About Stone Setting in Jewelry, Manhattan, New York
In any piece of jewelry, the setting is just as important as the stone itself. The setting refers to how the stone is secured into the piece. Which type you choose for your jewelry c...read more
How is CAD Technology Used to Make Jewelry?, Manhattan, New York
Whether you’re stocking your inventory or ordering unique pieces for your boutique, you may want to know more about the manufacturing process. CAD, or computer-aided design, has revo...read more
What You Should Know About Natural & Synthetic Diamonds, Manhattan, New York
Diamonds are one of the most iconic types of gemstones. While natural diamonds have always enjoyed broad popularity, synthetic diamonds are also becoming a favorite choice among cons...read more