Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

Student Visas Explained By The Immigration Law Experts At Berd & Klauss, PLLC July 14, 2015

Financial District, Manhattan
Student Visas Explained By The Immigration Law Experts At Berd & Klauss, PLLC, Manhattan, New York

Generally, students who wish to take advantage of the educational opportunities offered in the United States will need to apply for an F-1 (non-immigrant) visa, but the government makes a few other visa programs available in order to cover other special circumstances. According to Berd & Klauss, PLLC, experienced immigration attorneys based in New York, there are three visa programs for students traveling to the U.S.

  • F-1 Student Visa. This visa is by far the most common, and will cover most students coming to the United States to study. It's intended for people studying at any accredited college or university, as well as those studying English at a language institute.
  • J-1 Exchange Visa. Those participating in an educational exchange program will need to apply for a this special visa. It is also usually authorized for individuals in cultural exchange programs, as well.
  • M-1 Visa. This program is intended for those who intend to study at a vocational training institution within the U.S.

When applying for a visa at your local embassy, you will need to bring a SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)-generated document, either an I-20 or DS-2019, which you will receive from the sponsoring college, university, or organization when you are accepted. The visa process can take some time, so it's a good idea to apply as soon as you receive your documentation.

For legal services and help with this or any kind of visa, visit the immigration law specialists at Berd & Klauss, PLLC online or call (212) 461-7152 to schedule a consultation.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
4 FAQs About Street Encounters with Police, Manhattan, New York
Many undocumented immigrants don’t fully understand their constitutional rights and worry that any interaction with the police will lead to deportation. Fortunately, this is not more
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney, Manhattan, New York
The U.S. immigration system is notoriously complex, with confusing requirements and guidelines that seem to change constantly. Whether you’re applying for a visa or hoping to become more
4 FAQ About Expiring Green Cards , Manhattan, New York
Individuals with a permanent resident alien status are allowed to stay in the United States indefinitely, but the identifying documents issued by USCIS do expire. Fortunately, an more
4 Essential Steps in Consular Processing, Manhattan, New York
Immigrants with a valid basis for applying for permanent residency may do so from their home countries through their local U.S. Department of State consulate. This application more
Data Entry Complete for FY2020 Cap-Subject H-1B Petitions, Manhattan, New York
On May 17, USCIS announced that it completed a crucial step toward processing cap-subject H-1B petitions for the 2020 fiscal year. In the coming weeks, immigration law officials more