Your home should be a place where you and your family can feel safe. Identifying and tackling common household problems is part of your responsibility as a homeowner, even if it can be time consuming. Quantum Electric in Round Rock, TX wants to help you prevent any problems from getting out of control, so here’s a list of the five most common electrical hazards seen by the company's technicians.
- Outlets: All of the outlets in your home should be well away from sources of water, but you’d be surprised at how many home builders tend to overlook this fact. If you have an outlet that you feel is too close to the sink or bathtub, don't use it!
- Chords: Another common household electrical problem is frayed or cracked electrical cords. If the casing on an electrical cord is showing signs of wear and tear, that’s a good indicator that the cord isn’t safe to touch, so replace it immediately.
- Lights: This one seems obvious but can be easily overlooked: keep light bulbs away from flammable material. It’s important to make sure you don’t have your bedside lamp too close to your bed.
- Wiring: Often, homes can suffer from poor wiring or an outdated electrical system. If you think there’s a problem with the wiring in your home, have a licensed electrician come and inspect it so you can prevent major problems down the road.
- Appliances: Make sure to never use any appliances with wet hands. This seems like a no-brainer, but it can be easy to forget. Also, ensure they’re plugged in correctly before using them.
For more helpful tips on electrical hazards or to hire one of Austin’s expert electrical contractors, call Quantum Electric today at (512) 246-1145, or visit the company online.