Hartford, Connecticut
645 Farmington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Hartford, CT 06105
(860) 233-1440

4 FAQ About Connecticut Child Support Laws January 16, 2019

Hartford, Hartford, CT
4 FAQ About Connecticut Child Support Laws, Hartford, Connecticut

Although laws vary from state to state, under Connecticut law, both parents have a financial obligation to their child, regardless of whether they’re married or not. However, how much one is required to pay can be a complex question, which is why child support cases are common in family law court. If you are involved in a support case, you probably have a number of questions. Here are some common ones clients ask their lawyers.  

A Guide to Child Support Laws in Connecticut

How is child support determined? 

Connecticut family law courts use state guidelines to calculate how much child support a parent is required to pay. First, they look at the parents’ weekly income and then figure out what percentage of this total should be used to financially support the child. Next, they will consider how much each parent contributes to the combined weekly income. The court also has the discretion to order more support for health care or child care expenses.

How are court orders enforced? 

family lawIf a parent does not pay child support, the other parent may seek help getting the money they’re owed from the Bureau of Child Support Enforcement or an attorney. It’s possible to enforce a support order by garnishing the delinquent parent’s wages, putting a lien on their bank account or property, withholding their tax refund, or preventing them from obtaining a passport. They may also be fined and held in contempt of court, which could result in jail time.

Can a child support order be modified?

Either parent can request an existing child support order to be modified, but a new court order will have to be acquired. The parent asking for modification must be able to show there was a substantial change to their income, the other parent’s income, or the child’s circumstances. 

When does the responsibility to pay support end?

In Connecticut, the non-custodial parent is generally responsible for paying support until their child turns 18. However, they may need to pay it until the age of 19 if the child is still living at home or attending high school. A judge may also order support for a disabled child until they reach the age of 21, as long as they are residing with one parent and depending on them for financial support.


Child support laws and procedures can be complicated for parents to understand. Attorney Jeremy N. Weingast of Weingast Law will provide you with valuable knowledge and effective representation to ensure your rights are upheld. He is well-versed in all areas of family law and has more than 35 years of experience working with residents throughout Hartford County, CT. With his team advocating on your behalf, your chances of achieving a favorable outcome will increase significantly. Call (860) 233-1440 to schedule a consultation, or visit his website for more information on the types of family law cases he regularly handles. 

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Weingast Law
3 Penalties for a Second Drunk Driving Offense in Connecticut, Hartford, Connecticut
In the state of Connecticut, the consequences for a second DWI violation are considerably more severe than those for a first offense. The first time you're charged, you may face fine...read more
4 Factors to Consider When Creating a Will, Hartford, Connecticut
For many people, writing a last will and testament is what comes to mind when they think of estate planning. Doing so ensures that your property and assets are given out according to...read more
Why Might a Personal Injury Lawyer Decline Your Case?, Hartford, Connecticut
A personal injury lawyer works to get their client compensation for the costs associated with an injury and subsequent recovery. While most lawyers are ready to advocate for clients ...read more
Family Law: How to Create a Successful Parenting Plan, Hartford, Connecticut
When parents of minor children are involved in a divorce or custody dispute, they will have to come up with a mutually agreeable parenting plan and submit it to the court. Given the ...read more
FAQs About Search & Seizure, Hartford, Connecticut
The Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution protects citizens from unwarranted search and seizure. But there are parameters to this rule, especially from a criminal law pe...read more