La Crosse, Wisconsin
205 S 5th Ave Suite 520
La Crosse, WI 54601
(608) 785-3900

How to Proceed With a Slip & Fall Lawsuit January 3, 2019

La Crosse, La Crosse County
How to Proceed With a Slip & Fall Lawsuit, La Crosse, Wisconsin

Taking a tumble on someone else’s property can be a frightening experience, resulting in broken bones, concussions, and other injuries. From property neglect to poor building management, there could be several reasons for the accident. Taking action with a slip and fall lawsuit is the best way to seek compensation for pain, suffering, and medical bills. To ensure you are protected and get the money deserved, it’s important to take the following steps when filing a claim. 

How to Take Action in a Slip & Fall Lawsuit

Tell the Building Owner About the Accident Immediately

Right after the accident, let the property owner or building manager know what happened. If you get hurt on public property, report the incident to the city. Before you leave the premises, get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed the incident. If possible, also take pictures of the scene and your injuries. Taking these steps will add legitimacy to your claim when reviewed by insurers, the court, or a jury later.     

Seek Medical Attention

La-Crosse-Wisconsin-slip-and-fall-lawsuitIf you are hurt, don’t wait to go to a doctor for a checkup. They will be able to treat minor problems before they manifest into life-threatening concerns. Make sure to attend follow-up appointments, too, as it will show you are taking the necessary steps to monitor your progress. Having documentation of the severity of injuries and the treatment plan will also work in your favor when filing a slip and fall lawsuit as it shows consistency in your actions. 

Contact an Attorney for Legal Assistance

After the incident, you might be asked to fill out an accident report by the building owner or provide a tape-recorded statement of what happened to an insurance adjuster. Neither of these steps is required by law, so don’t feel pressured into doing so. To protect your rights, reach out to a personal injury attorney for help. They will let you know the next steps to take that are in your best interests, file paperwork with the court, and speak on your behalf during legal proceedings.


If you want to file a slip and fall lawsuit in the La Crosse County, WI, area, Attorney Ronald Fitzpatrick is available to assist with your case. With over 30 years of experience, he will help navigate the negotiation process to ensure you are treated fairly. To schedule a free consultation, call (608) 785-3900. Visit the local law firm online for more information on personal injury law representation.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Attorney Ronald Fitzpatrick
What to Look for in a Disability Attorney, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Applying for Social Security disability benefits is an arduous endeavor. Fortunately, you can ensure expert guidance at every stage of the claims process by hiring a seasoned more
Can You File a Personal Injury Claim After Falling on an Icy Sidewalk?, La Crosse, Wisconsin
Icy sidewalks may seem like a minor inconvenience, but they actually pose a significant risk of personal injury, especially for older people and those with mobility issues. These more
3 Warning Signs Your Social Security Number May Have Been Stolen , La Crosse, Wisconsin
Many Americans become a victim of identity theft every year. This can cause financial hardship, put future economic health in jeopardy, and ruin a person’s credit. Often, identity more
Why You Should Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer, La Crosse, Wisconsin
If you were hurt in a serious accident and want to hold the liable party accountable, you’ll want to hire a personal injury lawyer for guidance. Depending on the circumstances, more