It’s common to have a house full of smoke alarms, but not a single carbon monoxide detector. According to HVAC contractors, this is dangerous because there are several sources of the odorless and colorless gas within the home, including common heating systems like furnaces, boilers, and gas stoves. Knowing the lifesaving benefits will make you consider putting one in your house.
What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
HVAC contractors strongly recommend installing a detector because it's difficult to identify the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They will typically appear similar to the flu, preventing you from quickly reacting before losing consciousness.
Common warning signs include a mild headache and breathlessness, which will worsen as exposure is increased. As this happens, other flu-like symptoms will appear, such as nausea, dizziness, fatigue, confusion, and irritability. A clear difference between the two is that the symptoms of CO poisoning will clear up once you leave the home. It will also affect everyone within the house, including pets, instead of one or two individuals. There also will not be an accompanying fever or swollen lymph nodes.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Aside from installing a CO detector, have an HVAC contractor inspect and perform maintenance on the heating systems used in the home at least once a year. This is necessary for wood, coal, or fuel-burning devices and the vent or flue they are connected to. Also, do not use a gas oven to heat your home or leave your vehicle running in an enclosed garage.
Ensure your heating system is operating safely and efficiently this winter by scheduling an inspection with the HVAC contractors at Oehl Plumbing, Heating, Electric, & Air Conditioning based in Amana, IA. Since 1949, these technicians have provided high-quality electrical, plumbing, and HVAC repair services to North Liberty, Coalville, and Iowa City. Call them today at (319) 622-3636 for a free estimate, and visit their website for more information about their services.