Misuse and negligence form the foundation of many household fires. Any residential blaze requires fire damage repair services to restore the structure and what it contains, and to promote healthy indoor air. Learn about five of the most common causes of home fires to keep yourself, your loved ones, and your belongings safe from quick-spreading blazes.
The Top 5 Common Causes of Household Fires
1. Cooking Mishaps
Boiling grease and oil, faulty appliances, and unattended pots, pans, and hot plates are among the many reasons for kitchen fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association, kitchen fires are the number one cause of home blazes.
Replace your appliances as necessary and stay close to your stovetop to prevent kitchen fires. If you need to leave the room for any reason, either turn the appliance off or have a family member watch it until you come back.
The soft glow candles provide can quickly turn into a bright, searing blaze when they are left to burn. Those near flammable objects, such as wooden furniture, tissues, and paper products, are especially hazardous. Blow the candles out before leaving a room and check that no bits of burning wick have fallen anywhere. Also, consider switching to faux LED candles to minimize your fire risk.
Like candles, cigarettes that are allowed to burn create serious fire hazards. Proximity to flammable items, such as bedding, rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture, increases this risk. Smoke outdoors to avoid serious fire damage repairs and maintain a cleaner house with higher-quality air. Also, consider quitting to enjoy better health.
4. Electrical Issues
Electrical fires often happen from old or faulty wiring, especially if it is aluminum instead of copper since the former is highly flammable. Equipment with frayed cords plugged into overloaded outlets are also spark risks, as are struggling power strips accommodating too many major appliances. Hire an electrician to rewire your house if it has aluminum wiring.
Home heating fires naturally increase during colder months since people use their furnaces or portable heaters more often. Keep all portable heating sources at least three feet away from flammable objects, including curtains and drapes, and get your furnace inspected in the fall to ensure it is working efficiently and safely.
In the event of a household blaze, trust the fire damage repair experts at SERVPRO of Greater St. Augustine / St. Augustine Beach to restore your residence. These WRT-certified technicians undergo extensive training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility and have the equipment and know-how to solve any household or commercial cleanup/restoration issue. Call (904) 429-4457 today to schedule an appointment or visit the website to learn more about fire damage repair services. Keep up with the latest company news and tips on Facebook.