When the weather gets cold, most people will spend more time inside with the heat on. There is nothing cozier than coming inside to a warm home but having fireplaces, space heaters, and furnaces leave your house at risk for a fire. To protect your home this autumn and winter season, follow these six tips.
- Service your furnace before turning it on for the winter. Be sure to call your heating and cooling company to service your furnace to inspect everything is in working order and there are no leaks.
- Place a screen on your fireplace to prevent sparks from flying out. Never leave a fire burning in your fireplace unattended and make sure the fire is completely out when you go to bed.
- Always read the instructions for your space heater before using it. Some space heaters require ventilation to outside your house. Also, ensure your space heater has at least three feet of empty space surrounding it.
- Never use your stove or oven to heat your home. Your stove or oven can release a large amount of carbon monoxide into the air and can kill you.
- Use candles with caution. We all love candles during the cold months as they fill our homes with warm smells, but they also cause fires. Almost 10,000 home fires a year start with improper candle use. Always keep your candles away from pets and kids and blow out all candles before you go to bed.
- Change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. A good schedule to have for changing the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors is every time you change your clocks for Daylight Saving time.
We at would like your holiday season to go without fires so we want to prepare you with every preventative option. Unfortunately, fires can’t be prevented even with the most preventative measures taken so we are here to supply you and your family with a comprehensive policy. If you would like to receive a free quote or to learn more about our options, call Diane Fox at (732) 972-1771 ext. 1108.