Central Business District, New York

What to Do if Your Employer Doesn't Have Workers' Compensation Insurance September 27, 2018

Central Business District, Rochester
What to Do if Your Employer Doesn't Have Workers' Compensation Insurance, Rochester, New York

A work injury can have a devastating impact on your health and ability to earn a living. Fortunately, workers' compensation laws help protect people who have been injured on the job. But what happens when an employer doesn't have the required insurance? Below is a brief guide to what you should do in this situation. 

Always Get Medical Attention

Get medical help, even if your employer doesn’t have workers' compensation coverage. Don't let their lack of professionalism and care impact your health and well-being. Once medical personnel have treated and stabilized any injuries, report the accident to your supervisor and file a C-3 form with the New York workers' comp board; incidentally, it is illegal for a New York employer to be without this insurance. You may want to consult an attorney to better navigate the process of pursuing compensation from an insurance-less employer.

File a Claim With the Uninsured Employers’ Fund

workers' compensationIn New York State, there is a special fund to address the needs of injured workers employed by companies who do not hold adequate insurance. Filing a claim with the Uninsured Employers' Fund is the first step in getting the needed compensation. The program is administered by the state's workers’ compensation board; with this, you’ll file a claim, have the claim reviewed, and find out whether the benefits are approved or denied.

File a Lawsuit

One of the primary goals of workers' compensation laws is to safeguard employers from personal injury lawsuits filed by injured workers. But when an employer doesn't comply with those laws, they forfeit the protections provided, which opens the door for employee lawsuits. New York State allows an injured worker to file a personal injury claim against an employer who doesn't have the required amount of insurance.


For more information about filing a workers’ compensation lawsuit in New York, contact the attorneys at Vincent Criscuolo & Associates in Rochester. They’ll help you get the compensation you deserve after an injury in the workplace. To schedule a consultation with a personal injury lawyer, call (585) 232-3240. Visit them online for more information about their practice areas.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Vincent J. Criscuolo & Associates
The Do’s & Don’ts of Filing an Insurance Claim for a Personal Injury Accident, Rochester, New York
If you were hurt in some kind of preventable accident, you must navigate complicated insurance proceedings. However, before you can recover compensation for the damages, you need to ...read more
Can You Be Fired While on Workers’ Compensation?, Rochester, New York
Workers’ compensation is a unique type of insurance covering lost wages and medical costs for individuals who are hurt on the job. Employers are legally required to have this coverag...read more
The Difference Between Partial & Total Disability, Rochester, New York
If you are injured in an accident, you might not be able to do everything you could do before getting hurt. Talking to a disability attorney helps people understand the legal signifi...read more
The Timeline for a Typical Workers' Compensation Claim, Rochester, New York
When a work injury strikes, it’s important to have the necessary resources to get medical treatment, take time off work, and recover. But the workers' compensation process is co...read more