Everyone enjoys the holidays but when there are a lot of people and activity going on around you, it’s very easy to get distracted. Below are eight simple fire-safety tips that can help you and your family reduce the risk of kitchen fires during the holiday season.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking. To protect your home and loved ones this holiday, follow these 8 simple tips:
- Make sure your Christmas tree is being watered every day. It is important to take down your tree right after the holidays because a tree will start to dry out after about four weeks.
- Never leave the kitchen when cooking. Always keep a close eye on your meal especially when frying and sautéing with oil.
- When cooking a turkey or baking a roast, check it frequently. Remember to use a timer to remind you there’s something cooking and to tell you how long the item has been cooking.
- Be alert and stay focused when cooking your holiday meal. Minimize the amount of people in the kitchen to avoid getting distracted and don’t be afraid to ask to take a break if you feel tired, need to leave the kitchen to use the restroom, or are intoxicated.
- Always keep flammable items such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, and towels away from the cooking area.
- Make sure all candles are at least three feet away from anything that can burn. To live without worry, consider flameless LED candles this holiday.
- Never use old string lights; throw out any lights with frayed or cracked wires. When setting up the lights, make sure you don’t use faulty extension cords and that the extension cords being used outside are outdoor safe.
- Get your fireplace cleaned before igniting a fire this winter. Soot, blockages and creosote can build up in your fireplace. Having a screen installed in the front of your fireplace will prevent a fire by blocking embers from coming out of the fireplace and onto the floor or carpet.
Carefully decorating your home and remembering these simple holiday cooking tips will protect your home from an unwanted holiday accident. Call NorthEast Insurance Services today at (732) 972-1771 ext. 1108 to find out how you can protect your home with the proper homeowners insurance.