As the weather continues to be beautiful, the number of motor vehicle accidents will continue to increase due to higher amounts of drivers, an increase in distractions, and an increase in tourism. Auto accidents can be quite stressful as they are always unexpected, so it is best to know what to do following one.
If you are involved in a car accident, there are certain steps you should take to minimize harmful outcomes including:
- It is easier said then done but try to stay as calm as possible following the accident. After you have taken a deep breath and relaxed, check for injuries and call 911 Even if there are no external wounds, it is a good idea to go to the hospital or see a doctor due to adrenaline sometimes masking the pain of an internal injury.
- If the accident is minor and it will not put anyone in jeopardy, move the cars involved in the accident to a safe place and turn on hazard lights when necessary.
- Call the police. Do not think that since your accident is minor, that it is not necessary to call the police and never listen to the other party involved when they try to persuade you to just “handle it among yourselves”. Without a police report, you may find it extremely difficult to convince your insurance company that you were not at fault.
- Keep track of all medical expenses, including but not limited to prescriptions, doctor bills, chiropractor services, rehabilitative services, etc.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident and of both your vehicle and the other parties vehicle.
- Take notes on the series of events that happened as soon as possible so nothing leaves your head. These notes should include the name, phone number, license plate number, and insurance information about the other person, as well as witness contact information.
- Contact your insurance company following your accident.
- If it turns out that you must file a civil claim to gather your losses, it can be helpful to make a list of questions to ask a lawyer after your accident.
Knowing what to do following a car accident can help keep you safe and help you and your auto insurance carrier significantly. By clicking here, you can access a list of the insurance companies that NorthEast works with and their website and phone number to report a claim. To learn more about our auto insurance policies to better protect your family and you, contact NorthEast Insurance Services at (732) 972-1771 ext. 1109.