Richmond, Kentucky
147 Plantation Dr
Richmond, KY 40475
(859) 621-1800

What Is Asphalt? July 19, 2018

Richmond, Madison
What Is Asphalt?, Richmond, Kentucky

If you’re like most people, you likely see and use asphalt every day. You may drive on it during your daily commute to work or ride your bicycle on it for your morning exercise. But just what is this material? As explained by the expert asphalt contractors from C & R Asphalt, based in Lexington, KY, understanding this layered pavement can make a significant difference in how it is applied. To help you increase your knowledge, these professionals have put together the following guide.

A Beginner’s Guide to Asphalt

Ingredients

The most important ingredient in this material is the aggregate, which composes of about 95% of the pavement. Aggregates are typically a mixture of crushed stone, sand, gravel, and slags. To keep these materials cohesively together, manufacturers use a binder, like bitumen. Typically very dark in color, this ingredient makes up the other 5% of asphalt, and it’s usually made from a petroleum byproduct, like polycyclic hydrocarbons.

Types

asphaltDepending on its application and purpose, asphalt can come in a variety of different types. For example, hot mix asphalt concrete is one of the most durable options available. For this reason, it is commonly used in areas that must support heavy loads, such as airport runways. Another type is warm mix asphalt concrete, which is produced at a lower temperature. This may be used for patching roads because it doesn’t offer the same level of durability. Finally, mastic asphalt uses fewer bitumen materials, making it ideal for roads and walkways.

Applications

Most people already know that asphalt plays an important role in the pavement of roadways and highways. Yet, this material can also be used for a variety of applications. For instance, it can be used in agriculture by providing a surface for barn and greenhouse floors. It can also be useful in industrial facilities, including ports, work sites, or as a landfill cap. Finally, asphalt is also frequently used to create flooring or roofing materials.

If you’re interested in paving asphalt for your driveway, parking lot, or other surfaces, reach out to the experts at C & R Asphalt today. Serving the community for more than 24 years, these professionals offer their services to both residential and commercial properties. They can even help with simple maintenance and repair work to ensure your pavement is always in pristine condition. If you have any questions, feel free to give them a call today at (859) 255-0077. Or, like them on Facebook for the latest news and updates.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from C & R Asphalt, LLC
Why Restaurants Should Pay Attention to Paving, Richmond, Kentucky
While it’s true that a restaurant’s main priority should be its food, there are many other secondary concerns that contribute to the success of the establishment. One of the most imp...read more
Winter Tips for Walking Your Dog on Asphalt, Richmond, Kentucky
When it comes to asphalt and walking your dog, most pet owners are more concerned about walking on it in the heat rather than the cold. In winter, asphalt driveways and roads still p...read more
How Does Summer Asphalt Compare to Winter Varieties? , Richmond, Kentucky
Although most people assume asphalt is asphalt, there are actually multiple varieties designed for a range of ambient air temperatures. In fact, there are ideal times during the year...read more
How to Keep Residential Paving in Pristine Condition All Year Round, Richmond, Kentucky
There's a certain art to maintaining a neighborhood and making sure it reaches its full potential, from the standards of each lawn to the maintenance of residential paving and other ...read more
What You Need to Know About Paved Driveways and Their Curing Process, Richmond, Kentucky
Choosing a new material to resurface your driveway can be challenging. Though each has its benefits, asphalt driveways add simplicity and elegance to a house. They are also low-...read more