When you’re getting ready for a road trip, you know you should give your car a checkup. But what exactly do you need to check? Affordable Automotive has been providing auto mechanical repair in New Milford since 2000, and they’ll let you know what your car needs before you set out on your extended drive.
Making sure your car is in the best condition possible is essential for a safe trip. The expert auto mechanics at Affordable Automotive recommend this checklist of areas you should take care of before heading on your journey:
- Fluids. Be sure your car has enough engine oil, transmission fluid, gas, radiator coolant, windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, and power steering fluid. Although it may seem like a lot to check, your car needs sufficient levels of all these fluids to function correctly.
- Hoses and belts. Check and make sure they’re not worn or cracked. If they’re in good shape, ensure they’re securely fastened, because if something ever comes loose, you may find yourself stranded on the side of the road.
- Tires. Since these are the part of the car that’s in contact with the road, you want to make sure they’re in top-notch condition—and this applies to your spare tire too. Your treads should be deep enough to keep good traction while you drive, and the tire pressure should be filled to the recommended amount. Over-inflating your tires can cause a blowout.
- Lights and wipers. You need your lights when it’s dark, but it also helps other drivers see you. Check your headlights and brake lights and replace any burnt out or broken bulbs. Your wipers are also needed for visibility, in case you encounter bad weather. Replace your wiper blades, if necessary, and make sure they are fully functional.
- Brakes. When there’s an emergency, you want to know your brakes will work. Take your car to your auto repair shop for a brake inspection, and install new ones if needed.
Bring in your vehicle to Affordable Automotive for a checkup before your trip, but remember that regular maintenance is important too. Call them at (860) 354-2266 to schedule your next inspection, or visit them online to learn more about their preventative maintenance services.