You might think that toning up is all about weightlifting, but resistance training is a seriously effective way of building strong yet compact muscles. The personal trainers from Body Unique in Park Slope encourage their clients to use all the tools and techniques at their disposal to get fit, and that definitely includes valuable resistance training.
Resistance training is the reason athletes like martial artists and dancers are incredibly strong and defined looking without being bulky. And if that’s not enough to convince you of the virtues of resistance training, just check out these five added bonuses:
- Increased muscle to fat ratio: When you build dense muscle, you not only change your body composition; you also begin to burn more calories, even when at rest.
- Increased bone density: Resistance training increases your bone density, which helps protect you from osteoporosis. This is important for both sexes, but especially for women who are more prone to the disease.
- Increased stamina: Resistance training helps you increase your stamina not just during resistance training activities, but during all types of physical activities. You’ll feel more energy day to day and notice increased performance during athletic pursuits of all kinds.
- Improved sense of confidence: When you feel stronger, more energetic, and agile, you carry yourself taller and feel better about the way you look. The fact that resistance training also gives you a more toned appearance is a bonus!
- Protection against injury: Resistance training forces you to do strength training and flexibility training at the same time, which reduces your overall risk for injury.
For one-on-one resistance training with a personal trainer, call Body Unique at (718) 369-2500.