Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

Immigration Lawyers Explain the EB-1(b) Visa for Outstanding Professors and Researchers April 23, 2015

Financial District, Manhattan
Immigration Lawyers Explain the EB-1(b) Visa for Outstanding Professors and Researchers, Manhattan, New York

The U.S. government provides several visa programs for immigrants interested in living and working permanently in the United States. Most of these require a Labor Certification before the process can even begin, but a few selective programs are available for individuals with exceptional qualifications in which this requirement is waived. Berd & Klauss, PLLC, immigration law specialists who provide legal services in New York, explain that one of these, the EB-1(b) is available only to those who have an outstanding reputation in the fields of researching or teaching. Here are some key pointers:

  • An EB-1(b) visa does require that an American institution has extended an offer of permanent employment to an immigrant and initiates the visa petition, but it does not require a Labor Certification. 
  • Instead of a Labor Certification, the employer must demonstrate that the applicant has received international recognition for achievement within an academic field, and possesses at least three years of research or teaching experience relevant to the position for which they are being hired. 
  • These applications are typically submitted by universities, but may also be used by private companies attempting to hire internationally known research scientists.
  • As proof of professional achievement, the applicant may submit evidence of internationally recognized awards, membership status in high-level associations, book and article publications, original contributions, and material written about the alien in internationally distributed publications. 

A qualified immigration attorney will be able to help you decide whether you qualify for an EB-1(b) visa. Visit Berd & Klauss, PLLC online now to learn more, or call (212) 461-7152 to schedule a consultation.