Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

Switching from an E-2 Visa to an H1-B or Green Card April 18, 2018

Financial District, Manhattan
Switching from an E-2 Visa to an H1-B or Green Card, Manhattan, New York

The E-2 visa, reserved for independent foreign investors who plan to make substantial capital investments in an American business, is one of the few visa programs that does not require an employment sponsor. Fortunately, U.S. immigration law allows those with an E-2 visa to switch to another classification if their circumstances change or they decide to pursue permanent residency. Depending on your situation, you may apply for a visa transfer to an H1-B status or apply for a green card.

Transferring Your E-2 Visa

Switching to an H1-B Visa

immigration lawIf the enterprise in which you invested is sold or closed, you’ll no longer be able to renew your E-2 visa. Fortunately, you may apply for an H1-B visa, which has significantly lower eligibility requirements than other classifications. While this visa will allow you to remain in the United States, it is only valid for six years, and you will have to find a U.S. employer willing to sponsor your application. Because U.S. immigration law has no established process for transferring an E-2 visa, you will also have to submit a new application.

Applying for a Green Card

The E-2 is considered a “dual purpose” visa, meaning holders are allowed to pursue permanent resident status while in the United States. For example, if you have $500,000 to $1 million to invest in a new business, you may be able to apply for an EB-5 green card. Other EB green cards require petitioners to find a U.S. business willing to sponsor your application and have varying educational and skill requirements.


The lawyers at Berd & Klauss, PLLC have made their name helping clients from across the globe navigate the complexities of U.S. immigration law. Whether you’re applying for a visa or seeking permanent status, their dedicated team has the expertise to help you achieve your goals. To discuss your immigration law issues with an NYC attorney, visit their website or call (212) 461-7152 today.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
4 FAQs About Street Encounters with Police, Manhattan, New York
Many undocumented immigrants don’t fully understand their constitutional rights and worry that any interaction with the police will lead to deportation. Fortunately, this is not more
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney, Manhattan, New York
The U.S. immigration system is notoriously complex, with confusing requirements and guidelines that seem to change constantly. Whether you’re applying for a visa or hoping to become more
4 FAQ About Expiring Green Cards , Manhattan, New York
Individuals with a permanent resident alien status are allowed to stay in the United States indefinitely, but the identifying documents issued by USCIS do expire. Fortunately, an more
4 Essential Steps in Consular Processing, Manhattan, New York
Immigrants with a valid basis for applying for permanent residency may do so from their home countries through their local U.S. Department of State consulate. This application more
Data Entry Complete for FY2020 Cap-Subject H-1B Petitions, Manhattan, New York
On May 17, USCIS announced that it completed a crucial step toward processing cap-subject H-1B petitions for the 2020 fiscal year. In the coming weeks, immigration law officials more