Groton, Connecticut
4 Fort Hill Rd
Groton, CT 06340

Common Questions About Workers' Compensation February 13, 2018

Groton, New London
Common Questions About Workers' Compensation, Groton, Connecticut

Workers’ compensation is an insurance policy designed to protect you if you get injured or ill on the job. It can provide coverage for everything from doctor’s bills to wages lost due to an inability to work. Here are answers to some of the most common question about this type of insurance.

FAQs About Workers’ Compensation

personal injuryHow Do You Get Workers’ Compensation?

Your employer should have this insurance to cover themselves from any liability. If you are injured at work, you report it to your boss and work with them to file the appropriate paperwork.

What Kinds of Incidents Are Covered?

This will depend in part on where you work. Workers’ compensation can apply to everything from freak accidents, like a car crash, to repetitive motion injuries sustained on the job. If you’re not sure what’s covered, check with your employer. 

Does Insurance Apply If the Injury Is Your Fault?

These policies aren’t like auto insurance, where blame needs to be determined. That said, there are special circumstances where you won’t get coverage—for instance, if you were operating machinery while inebriated.

What Should You Do if You Get Hurt at Work?

Always report any injury, no matter how small. Even minor pain could originate from a larger underlying condition that will require medical treatment. Document any related medical appointments, and save all doctor’s reports and receipts.

When Is a Lawyer Needed?

Contact an attorney if your workers’ compensation case hits a roadblock—for instance, if a payment is delayed or the insurer argues that your injury is due to an incident outside of work. Additionally, if a hearing is held regarding your case, ensure you have legal representation to protect yourself.  


Want to know more about workers’ compensation? Mark O. Grater Attorney at Law can answer your questions. Located in Groton, CT, this lawyer brings more than 30 years of experience to the table and is known for his compassionate approach to his clients. Whether you’ve been hurt in a motorcycle accident or want to file a personal injury claim, he can help. Learn more about his experience online or request a consultation by calling (860) 449-8059. 

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Mark O. Grater Attorney at Law
INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT?, Groton, Connecticut
It’s bad enough that you get injured in an accident in the first place but then you have the unenviable task of dealing with the other guys insurance company and an adjuster who is more
Fresh Start Through Chapter 7, Groton, Connecticut
We are now in to another new year.  The new years resolutions have been made.  One popular resolution is to get out of debt and start fresh.  If that is the direction more
Medical vs. Legal, Groton, Connecticut
Although I practice law, it sometimes seems like I am practicing medicine.  Medical and legal constantly intersect.  In the various areas that I practice, i.e., personal more
It’s 2019 and it’s time for a fresh debt free start.  Here are the qualifiers to be debt free: If you are a one person household and make under $63,864; If you are a two more
How Violations, Misdemeanors, and Felonies Differ, Groton, Connecticut
Criminal charges in Connecticut may be classified as an infraction, misdemeanor, or felony. The consequences differ depending on the classification of the criminal charge, and it more