Chocolate may be a tasty treat to humans, but it’s highly toxic to dogs. It contains theobromine and caffeine, which will speed up their heart rate and cause seizures. Dogs who ingest this sweet treat often require an emergency trip to a pet hospital. If your pooch got a hold of chocolate, it’s important to act quickly.
How Much Chocolate Is Too Much?
A toxic dose of theobromine can be anywhere from 100 to 500 milligrams per kilogram of your dog’s weight. Different types of chocolate contain different amounts of this chemical. Cocoa powder contains the highest concentrations while white chocolate contains the least.
What Are the Symptoms of Poisoning?
Symptoms of chocolate toxicity typically appear within six to 12 hours. These include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, abnormal heart rate, increased urination, and seizures.
What Should I Do After My Dog Eats It?
If your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately. They will want to know how much and what type of chocolate your furry family member ingested before offering any recommendations. If your pooch, for example, ate just two small bites, your veterinarian may suggest you monitor them for symptoms and only bring them in if their condition worsens. If a large amount of chocolate was ingested, though, your vet may advise you to bring your dog to a pet hospital immediately. They may induce vomiting by giving your pooch several doses of activated charcoal. If the case is more severe, your vet may put your dog on IV fluids and monitor them overnight.
If you have additional questions about chocolate poisoning in dogs, contact Skeet Club Veterinary Hospital. The High Point, NC, pet hospital provides a wide variety of veterinary services, including wellness exams, pet vaccinations, spaying and neutering procedures, and nutritional counseling. The staff truly cares about your dog’s well-being and will treat them like family. Call them today at (336) 886-2315, or visit their website for more information about the pet hospital.