Preventative care is key to ensuring the longevity of any appliance, and your air conditioner no exception. Take steps to keep the unit in great shape during the off season, as well as when in use, and you'll enjoy your system for years to come. Check out a few expert tips from the experienced staff at Hader in Cincinnati, OH:
- Schedule Annual Inspections: Have your air conditioning unit professionally inspected, cleaned, and repaired—if needed—every year, preferably before the summer season. This is one of the best ways to avoid bigger issues and subsequently costly repairs.
- Clean the Filter: Check and clean the unit’s filter about once a month and replace it every three months, or as needed. A dirty filter causes the appliance to work that much harder, which increases energy bills and contributes to poor indoor air quality. Cleaning the filter is especially important during summer months when it easily clogs with dust, pollen, and other debris.
- Check the Condenser: Clean your unit condenser, which looks like a large metal fan, of any leaves and other junk, or leave the job to your AC repair professional. Prevent future clogs by placing a tarp over the condenser during the winter.
- Landscape: Keep the area around your air conditioner clear so the unit has room to “breathe.” For best results, make certain all plants and shrubs are at least two feet away from the unit. It’s also important to place your air conditioner in a shady spot for optimal efficiency and airflow.
- Seal Leaks: Use caulk and weatherstripping materials to seal air leaks around a window unit and promote energy efficiency.
Maintain the health of your air conditioning unit by combining DIY tips with professional assistance. The Hader team specializes in residential and commercial heating and cooling services and always strive to help clients keep energy costs down. To learn more about air conditioning repair, furnace repair, and other services available through Hader, please call (513) 661-1910, or visit the website today.