Spring is finally here in northern Kentucky, which means many of you will be taking to the road on your bicycles to enjoy the sunshine and pleasant weather. While bicycling is a fun mode of transportation and great exercise, it also exposes you to some safety risks other occupants of the road don't have to face. Motorway accidents involving bicycles often have disastrous consequences, often resulting in serious injury and even death. To help make your spring as safe and enjoyable as possible, the accident attorneys at Thompson Law Office have some tips every biker should follow.
Keep these in mind:
- In most states, Kentucky included, bicycles are considered “vehicles,” and are required to follow all of the rules of the road. Behaving just as you would in a car will help other drivers predict your movements.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic. Motorists usually aren't looking for bikes coming the wrong way, and you could cause an accident by inadvertently startling someone.
- Always pass on the left, as it's easier for drivers to see you on the right.
- Learn to be aware of what's behind you, and learn to glance over your shoulder without losing your balance. Some bikers install a rear-view mirror on their helmets or handle-bars.
- Keep both hands on the handlebars, ready to break with both hands at any time.
- Obviously, wear your helmet. If an accident can't be prevented, the proper safety gear can save your life.
- Motorists should always exercise caution, since bicycles are more vulnerable than they are.
Visit Thompson Law Office online to learn more about their range of services, from DUI to criminal defense, or call (859) 280-2222 to schedule a free consultation.