One of the most common causes of homeowners’ insurance claims is due to house fires. In fact, in 2016, there were over 300,000 house fires that resulted in such filings. To help you avoid the damage and stress of these kinds of incidents, the team at NorthEast Insurance Services in Freehold, NJ, explains some of the most common hazards and what you can do to reduce the risk of a blaze in your home.
Keep these five risks in mind, so you never have to file a homeowners’ insurance claim:
- Improperly Used Space Heaters: Space heaters can spark a fire when left unattended or used inappropriately. Before you crank one up, check that there’s nothing flammable around the unit. While it’s running, avoid plugging anything else into the outlet to prevent current overload and take the time to vacuum stray dust.
- Clogged Dryer Vents: Even if you regularly clean your lint trap after every load, some will make it into your dryer vent. Over time, the buildup restricts airflow and increases the amount of heat the motor gives off when drying a load. Schedule a vent cleaning at least once a year to reduce your risk of fire.
- Overloaded Outlets: Electrical outlets are designed to handle a limited amount of current. Plugging too many appliances in or drawing too much electricity can result in sparks, melted plastic, and burning wiring. Before using one, check that it’s rated to handle the needs of your appliances.
- Not Replacing Worn Electrical Cords: Electrical cords are covered in a protective plastic coating. If this layer is damaged, chewed, torn, or broken down, the wires inside could cause a spark anytime you use the electronic. If you notice a worn cord, either have it repaired or replace the item.
- Cooking: Many people cook on a daily basis, and it’s easy to get distracted in the middle of a meal prep. However, leaving a dish unattended on the stove or in the oven is one of the easiest ways to allow a fire to start. If you’re cooking, someone should always check on the food every few minutes.
No one should ever have to deal with a house fire, but having the right homeowners’ insurance to help you recover from the damage quickly makes all the difference. Let the experienced team at NorthEast Insurance Services help you find the right homeowners’ insurance policy for your needs. Learn more about their coverage areas by visiting their website, or by calling 732-972-1771 to speak with a knowledgeable agent today.