Residents who live in older homes are advised to hire commercial electricians to perform inspections on their wiring. When not cared for, these systems can pose a fire and electrocution hazard to occupants. Fortunately, repairs can alleviate these issues, some of which are listed below.
How Old Wiring Can Pose a Fire Hazard
Over time, old wiring insulation can deteriorate, leaving hot wires exposed to combustible surfaces like curtains, rugs, and floors. Rodents and insects may also chew through the insulation, rendering the same outcome.
Often, old wiring cannot handle modern amp requirements. To avoid a system overload, surge, or potential fire, verify the wiring in your home or office can handle your needs. If it can’t, have a commercial electrician replace the home’s electrical system is the ideal course of action.
Previous owners of your house may have tinkered inexpertly with the wiring, causing further problems. They may have installed new appliances in the house that draw too much electricity from the system, creating overloads. Inappropriately sized breakers can also be an issue. For example, if a house’s wiring is originally meant for 20-amp breakers, and an amateur electrician installs a 40-amp breaker in its place, this can result in wiring growing hot and starting fires. To avoid this, either operate within the limits of the system or contact a commercial electrician to install new wiring that can handle larger loads.
Dauman Electric in Fall River, WI, has a team of commercial electricians qualified to perform installations and electrical inspections. This family-owned business has a reputation for quality work built over 15 years of helping clients. Visit their website or call (920)484-3852 to schedule an appointment or get additional information about their offerings.