If you’ve been hurt in an automobile accident, the first order of business is making sure you are safe. If you can, move your car out of traffic, turn on the emergency blinkers, and get away from any hazards, like leaking fuel or broken glass. Once your safety is ensured, there are some steps you should take in case you end up taking legal action. Here, the lawyers of Chambers & Rice Attorneys at Law in Homerville, GA, explain what to do.
Follow these steps to pave the way for a successful personal injury claim:
- Call for Help: Never leave the scene of an accident. Call 911 as soon as you can. This ensures you and any others involved get the necessary medical help. It also means a formal police report will be filed.
- Take Photos: Grab your camera phone and snap photos of the cars involved. Make sure to show the inside of your car, too; this can be useful if, for instance, the airbag did not deploy. Also take pictures of relevant surroundings, like skid marks on the street.
- Get Witness Information: Odds are, someone saw the incident. Ask for the names and contact information of any witnesses present. They may be of use in case there is legal action taken down the line.
- Gather Medical Records: See a medical professional, even if you feel fine. Some injuries might not show symptoms immediately. Hang on to all medical reports and receipts. Keep detailed notes of your injuries, and take photos of any visible harm.
- Write Down What Happened: As soon as you have a moment, sit down and write out a detailed account of the crash as you remember it. This can be useful in personal injury cases down the line.
- Call an Attorney: It’s always a good idea to contact a lawyer after an automobile crash. They can handle any potential legal issues and tell you whether you have a personal injury case on your hands.
If you’re looking for legal counsel in the Homerville, GA, area, consider Chambers & Rice Attorneys at Law. These professionals have more than 40 years of experience. Their approach is highly personalized: They want to get to know you and the details of your case and fight for your rights. You can view a list of their practice areas online. For a consultation with a lawyer, call (912) 487-2802.