Whether you were involved in a car accident or bitten by the neighbor’s dog, you have the right to seek remuneration. Filing a personal injury claim can help you get financial assistance to cover medical bills and compensate for emotional damage. Knowing the steps to take will increase the chances of a favorable outcome.
The following steps will bolster your personal injury claim:
- Preserve Evidence: Photos can be compelling evidence in a personal injury case. Take photos of the accident scene as well as your injuries. Request copies of all police and medical reports and receipts for any medical treatments you sought.
- Take Notes: Write down an account of the events that led to the injury. Include the date and time, what you were doing, and who else was at the scene. Update the document as needed to reflect medical appointments or auto repair evaluations.
- Obtain Police Reports: If you were involved in an accident that required a police presence, such as a car crash, obtain a copy of the responding officer’s report. Add it to your list of evidence to establish the facts of the case and determine who was at fault.
- Contact Your Insurance Provider: Depending on the type of accident, you should contact your insurer. They should always be informed so that they can file the necessary report, which may also serve as evidence. Note: Do not talk to the other person’s insurance company, unless you have first spoken with your own attorney!!
- Find an Attorney: As soon as you are able to do so, hire an attorney. These professionals know what evidence to gather in personal injury cases to bolster their clients’ claims. They also handle all paperwork and negotiate with the other party’s insurance company, so you can focus on recovering.
If you sustained a personal injury and need a reliable lawyer in the south-central Missouri area, put your trust in The Law Office of Christopher J. Swatosh. Located in Ava, this attorney is known for his aggressive style when protecting his clients’ interests. He has more than 20 years of experience practicing in a range of areas, from bankruptcy to family law. You can find out more about his practice online. To request a consultation, call (417) 683-2987.