If you are living with a disability and need a wheelchair, there are many types on the market to choose from. Before you make a purchase, though, it’s important to understand the various models and their features, so you can pick a wheelchair that will best meet your body and lifestyle needs.
Rapid Rehab, the leading rehabilitation center and mobility equipment supplier in Wisconsin Rapids, WI, is dedicated to improving the lives of patients with disabilities and mobility issues. Below, the professionals discuss a few of the types of wheelchairs you have to choose from:
- Basic: A basic wheelchair comes with the essential components, including foot and leg rests, and desk-length arms. The seat width range is typically between 16 to 20 inches.
- Lightweight: Lightweight wheelchairs are designed for people who plan to travel with the chairs. These varieties usually include the option for an adjustable back height and quick-release wheel removal.
- Bariatric: For patients who are bigger and cannot fit into the width of a basic wheelchair, bariatric chairs are the best option. These types are constructed to support up to 700 pounds, and they typically come in widths ranging between 24 and 30 inches.
- Recliner: Similar to bariatric chairs, recliner chairs are designed for patients with larger frames. However, they also have the additional feature of a reclining back. This is to help redistribute a person’s weight, so the chair is safer and more comfortable to use.
- Active: Active wheelchairs are made for disabled athletes. They feature a lightweight frame with extensive detail to the design. There are also many accessories and options on the market that can be added to this type of wheelchair, depending on the intended sport.
When purchasing a wheelchair, it’s important to find a model that fits your body and matches your everyday needs. If you need assistance selecting a chair, turn to the professionals at Rapid Rehab in Wisconsin Rapids, WI. The facility offers an extensive selection of high-quality wheelchairs and vehicle lifts. Contact them today at (715) 423-2084 or visit the website for more information about their inventory and services.