At the Premier Care Center, our staff is dedicated to providing patients with all the resources they need to feel better and stay healthy. One of the most common questions we encounter revolves around HIV and STDs. After careful consideration, we’ve compiled a list of the top facts and figures surrounding these illnesses, so you can have a better understanding of how widespread it really is. As always, make sure to use protection when engaging in sexual intercourse so both you and your partner can stay safe and STD-free!
1. As of today, over 65 million people in the US are infected with an incurable STD.
2. STD Infection is contagious through anal, oral, and vaginal intercourse.
3. Some STDs can impact the uterus and lead to pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).
4. PID has been linked to inftertility and potentially-fatal ectopic pregnancies as well.
5. There are currently an estimated 35 million people infected with HIV around the world.
6. Shockingly, less than 50% of adults over the age of 18 and under 44 have been tested for any STDs besides HIV.
7. Over one million people in this country are currently infected with HIV.
8. Out of all these infected people, nearly 14% do not know that they are living with infection.
9. HIV first arrived in the US back in the early 1980's and was originally misinterpreted as a disease that only affected homosexuals.
10. There are over 25 different types of sexually transmitted diseases.
All of these statistics can feel pretty heavy and depressing, but luckily there is plenty you can do to help turn these numbers around and do your part to fight HIV/STDs. For starters, you can volunteer, register in a campaign, take part in a marathon, and most importantly, go out and get tested sooner than later. Visit a Premier Care Center today to do just that! For general questions, you can contact us here. There’s no day like the present to make your sexual health a top priority. Visit a Premier Care health clinic near you for immediate care.